GUN Dominate Eye

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by haargerman, Jul 31, 2008.

1. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

Dominant Eye

I'm right handed, but my left eye is dominate. :hs:

Does anyone in this forum feel my pain? How long did it take you to get used to shooting lefty?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

Uhh, why not just shooting right handed and with use your left eye for your sight picture?

3. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Poke out your left eye. Then none of this will be an issue.

I new a kid in high school that had a crazy white eye and he got all the girls :kdubbd:

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

I think I know what you are leading to...

I shoot Both Eye's open, but on the precision shots, I close my rite eye and shoot with my dominant eye, which is also my left eye. Which is why I look like I'm shooting with a modified weaver, even though I try and shoot Iso.

I also cant my pistol a little to the left even when shooting freestyle, which I do subconciously. As is gravitates to my dominant eye.

It is good that you have an understanding of what eye is your dominant eye.

5. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

dominate nga! that shit kicks his right eyes ass

6. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

I bet your right eye looks wierd with a ball-gag and leather chaps on.

I got nothin. :(

7. chakup

chakup Guest

Yep same boat. If I have enough time I can get my right eye to get a site picture- but it's hard to keep it focused so shooting lefty for me. It sucks, but you do what you got to do.

8. Initial E

Initial E New Member

my best friend / range buddy is like that.

Tips:
    -Shoot with both eyes open
    -Turn your head to the right a bit and close your right eye
    -Cant the gun to the left so the sight is towards your left eye

no need to shoot weak handed unless you really want to train that way

9. grizzy

grizzy OT Supporter

My dad is the same way - If you wear glasses try putting a small piece of scotch tape (not the super clear stuff, the kind that's just a bit foggy) on your dominant eye, he claims it helps his other eye focus better.

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

Very common trick for us action pistol shooters.

11. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

*dominant

12. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

And most people are like that - it's the way the human brain and body are configured.

13. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

I shoot pistols both eyes open, rifles/shottys right eye.

14. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

i am exactly like you. for pistols and rifles, i learned to deal with and just shoot right handed. it didn't take long to get used to. for bow hunting, i still shoot lefty because it wrecks havoc on my groups if i don't. i don't understand it, nor do i try to. i just deal with it and go on. :bigthumb:

15. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I'm left eye dominant, for rifles I am right handed, for two hands on the pistol I am right handed, but for one hand on the pistol my "weak" hand is my more comfortable hand. for pistols I use the left eye for rifles I use the right eye.

I'm going to do some more range time (when I get back to a free state) using pistols left handed and using my left hand as the trigger hand, but as for rifles I am stuck as a righty, not only does it feel awkward to me, but I had shoulder surgery a few years back on my left shoulder and the one time I tried to shoot something other than a 22 left (it was only a 30-30) I was in near blinding pain.

16. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I'm also right-handed, left-eye dominant, but have no problem sighting rifle and pistol with my right eye. The whole dominant eye thing was never a problem for me since handedness is a monumentally larger stumbling block.

I didn't even have to think about it when I started shooting pistol with both eyes open. It takes minutes to explain the idea of laying the left image of the sights over the target while the left eye sees the target vs just doing it. Opposite for whenever I shoot left-handed. Sighting wrong also happens to feel wrong since you're crossing the centerline.

17. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Lefty, left-eye dominant, shoot rifles righty, pistols lefty. Do yourself a favor and pick a side. Your eyes will adapt and change over time if you work with them. Really, your brain adapts. You can change eye dominance. You'll get to where you can shoot with both eyes open and quickly switch to the dominant one for a clearer sight picture. My suggestion is to shoot everything righty, and let your brain catch up. It's far easier to deal with weapons manipulations.

18. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

When I first started getting into shooting I was right-handed and left eye dominant. I've since gotten used to shooting right-handed, and am now right eye/neutrally dominant. I can switch dominance if that makes sense. I do the trick where you look at something and close a gap in your hands until you can't see any more and it's usually right... Used to be left.

It can switch over time. you just have to re-train your brain.

odd thing is that when flying and driving i use my left hand, and have a hard time using my right, though that has no bearing on eye dominance.

19. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

That never worked for me because I always knew at an almost-conscious level which image corresponded to which eye.

20. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

Right handed, left eye dominant here as well. Seems it's pretty common. I shoot both eyes open. Much like AB13, my stance ends up looking like a strange amalgamation of mod weaver and iso. Head cocked a tad, as well as the pistol. It works though.

21. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I'm left handed, right eye dominant. i feel your pain.

but I'm a weird son of a bitch. I shoot rifle/shotgun right handed but handgun lefty.

basically I'm just weird all around....I write with my left hand but throw with my right. I bat and play golf lefty but play tennis righty....life is interesting.

22. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I'm kind of in the mixed boat as well. I'm very much right handed when it comes to shooting (but left handed at Hockey for some reason.) For rifles with scopes and open sights I use my right eye, but when I shoot with a pistol for some reason I always want to use my left eye. Not sure what's up with that.