Domestic Crew, I Need a few questions awnsered. (CARBS/BUICK-GS-STAGE1)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Buick Muscle, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

My first question is that on a carbed engine, lets say your just rolling along at about 40 MPH and then you suddenly floor the gas... is there a slight lag between the pedal hitting the floor and the engine putting out the power, or is the transistion seemless like a F.I. car?

Secondly, in construction of the 1970 Buick GS Stage 1 motor, is it true that their was a material used in the construction of the engine that was also utlized by NASA at the time?

So I did a little googling, and I found out that hyoerreutectic pistons might have been used by Buick in the production of the stage one motors. Basically, Hyperreutectic is a combination of aluminum and silicon to create a more evenly dispersed uniform metal surface, and the pistons are brittle but awesome for naturally aspirated applications.

Now what gets interesting is that apparently there is the regular 390 hypereutectic process, and then their is a NASA 398 Hypereutectic process. This was brought forth through the NASA technology transfer program, which basically puts aerospace applications into the industrial sector.

What I'm trying to figure out is that what type of Pistons were equipped in the GS Stage 1 motor, and if the pistons were indeed Hypereutectic, then if they were 390 or NASA 398. Im not sure on the time dates for any of this though, but I was wondering in any Buick nuts out there knew this?

Phew, this is alot of work.
  2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Staff Member

Jul 6, 2001
    There may be a slight hesitation depending on how well tuned the carb. and ignition are. I don't miss messing around with old engines.
  3. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    You can make a carb play on par with FI, it just requires tuning as the factory setups back then were usually a pretty bland, all-around setups. They really didn't factor in climate, altitude, and engine specific characteristics that are needed to really get a carb working at peak performance.

I rebuilt the Quadrajet on my Chevelle, and tossed in some power piston springs specific to the vacuum my engine pulls, a larger accelerator pump and a high-flow needle and seat to prevent starvation, and it really woke it up over the factory setup. Once I swap jets & rods to fine tune it, it'll run perfect.

As far as the block being made of a exotic material, nope. The Stage 1 used the regular cast iron 400 and 455 engines, they just got treated to a more aggressive cam, higher compression, better manifold, and a few other upgrades and tweaks over the standard engines.

And the pistons were regular forged. I don't think hyper pistons were really even around back then, and not used in production cars if they were. GM outsourced a lot of their performance pistons to TRW, who just made regular forged aluminum parts at the time.

But with GM there are always a few exceptions, they had some really experiemental parts built back in that era, but the exotic and rare parts hardly ever found their way into the production cars. Usually only factory-backed race cars got the exotic stuff of the time.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2006