Domestic car fans, do yourself a favor...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Seeker, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

And pick up the current issue of evo. Interesting stuff you might like. In a special called 'America Takes On The World,' the British magazine compares some of America's heavy hitters against their favorites.

The cover feature is a GT shootout, comparing the new TVR Tuscan MK2, MG SV-R, and Chevrolet C6 Corvette.

Fresh from the fight against the two Brits, the C6 goes up against the Porsche 997 Carrera.

The Dodge Viper SRT-10 takes on its distant relative the Mercedes Benz SL55.

The Ford GT is daringly driven across Europe, right up to the gates of Ferrari HQ in Modena, followed by a comparison with the new Ferrari F430.

The battle of the 25k coupes rages as the Mustang GT takes on the Nissan 350Z.

There's also an article about the American cars that the British like to have specially imported. Quite a few suprises there.

It's good reading. :bigthumb:

2. I'll wait till it gets online

3. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

sounds kind of interesting

4. Seeker

You might want to check now. I just picked the issue up last week, and it takes a while for for copies to make it over from the UK.

It's definitely worth looking into. Even though it's British, it's not like an episode of Top Gear or something, where they automatically bash a car because it's American. They're actually quite open minded there, and are glad to be getting some of our cars now. Not to give too much away, but they liked the C6 quite a bit. They're really looking forward to the Z06 too, considering it to be a more than worthy rival for one of their favorites, the 911 GT3.

I don't want to spoil any too much, but there's only one car that got what you could call a lukewarm review. I'm not telling which one. :noes:

5. Enron John

Enron John :mamorlu: OT Supporter

my av says all

6. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Are there any Holdens in it?

Do they test Chrysler's Hemi cars?

7. domestictuner

domestictuner Watch your mouth, before I shove these gators up y

sounds like a good read...

8. Seeker

Not this one. They're Aussie cars. They've featured a couple before, though. One of the Holdens was an awd version of a Monaro that had a unique body kit with some big fender flares. I thought it looked pretty cool. They like the Vauxhall Monaro a lot, and can't wait for the LS2 version. Funny thing is, they like the GTO more, for some reason. People are actually importing them. Apparently, it's cheaper than getting a Monaro.

Not in this issue. They drove a Hemi 300C a while ago. They liked the great value and power, but there were some they had some issues with quality. They get a wagon version over there, too. Again, the funny thing is that they like the Magnum.

Other vehicles in demand for import include the Chevy SSR, Dodge Ram SRT-10, Ford GT, Lightning(Gen2) and Thunderbird(the retro one), and Infiniti FX45(it's American market, at least).

9. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

It's an imported magazine, not an import mag.

10. Seeker

Did you read the first post at all? The magazine is British.

Admittedly, the magazine is about 'The thrill of driving,' and they focus on cars that are enjoyable to drive...like the Evo. That's how they got the name. :o

11. Seeker

Thank you.

They like your car quite a bit over at evo(Carrera S, right??). It won the 2004 car of the year. They're also anxious to see how the C6 Z06 matches up to it, though. :x:

12. lawnboy

lawnboy Robert DeNigro

my buddy slipped me this magazine at school. ill have to take a look now

13. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

They love the 997S and the Exige. They basically love any drivers' cars. It's actually one of the few publications that covers all automobiles from an experienced enthusiast's perspective.

I always pick up a copy just to read their impressions on semi-Exotics like TVRs, Lotus, etc. It's a very well written magazine.

14. gIock

gIock Guest

How did the GT stack up to the f430?

15. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

So Domestic guys only read magazines written by Americans? :ugh2:

16. Dr. Zoidberg

Dr. Zoidberg the lovable tramp

sounds like a very interesting read... can't imagine the mustang holding up to the 350z though.. don't they cost about $10k different? :o

17. Bobby Ballsack

Bobby Ballsack I could be a friend to you

I'm gonna get that. Thanks.

18. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

Yes, but EVO isn't a magazine solely about Imports, Popular Hot Rodding is a magazine centered around Domestic culture.

19. Seeker

In the UK, they cost the same, ~25k GBP. ;)

Imported mag != Import mag :mamoru:

They really like both cars. To them, the GT is more of an emotional throwback, while the F430 is a technological masterpiece. They even used some road test data from Road and Track, which is probably a better indicator of the performance of these two cars. For some reason, the British mags tend to be quite a bit slower in 0-60. :dunno:

The article on driving the GT to Modena was kinda funny. British customs people wouldn't leave the evo guys alone. 'Do you know Jeremy Clarkson? He's getting one of these. He's a right funny bloke. The little guy, too. The old bloke isn't that funny.' The customs people made them rev the engine, etc, and talked to them for so long that they missed their ferry across the channel. :mamoru:

Then when the evo guys got to Modena, a bunch of Ferrari people on their break came out to look at the GT. Lots of respect from them, believe it or not. Then a couple F430s and 612 Scaglietti test drivers started following them around, tailgating them, and flicking them off. The evo guys decided to leave after that. :rofl: