WEB DomainsBot.com - I think it fucked me.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jesse, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

The other day I was looking for ideas for a new domain.. I came up with one, and decided against registering it right then, to try to think of better ones. I go look for it on godaddy today, and it wasn't available. I was like wtf m8^^? and do a whois lookup on it to find it was registered YESTERDAY. So either someone is extremely like-minded to me, or that website tips people off to what they are searching for, which wouldn't be a big shock.

That said, consider yourself warned.

2. conRAD

conRAD New Member

ive heard of this happening before sadly :(

3. Jesse

:werd: I keep my website ideas to myself for the most part, until I have the domain.

4. 537

537 Guest

Sucks bro

5. transistor

transistor Well-Known Member

yea, i've heard of this too

6. Shampoo

Shampoo Rinse & Repost

Good to know.

7. Jesse

Well duh, you just read it here.

8. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

There are quite a few domain lookup sites that are either shady themselves like that or have outsiders scraping their traffic to grab domains that are searched for. Odds are that if the domain doesn't get any traffic it will either get dropped in 4 or so days or dropped and picked up by another bot and then held for 4-5 days and so on. It will most likely be available in the next couple week so just keep checking it.

I'm really careful not to look up domains I get ideas for on various sites. The only one I use is register.com since I have used it for a couple years and checked thousands of domains over that time and never had any domains "sniped" like that while checking them there. Definitely don't register the domains at register.com since they are a rip off but I am pretty sure they are safe to lookup domains without someone seeing it and taking it from you if you hold off.

Of course there is always the chance of coincidence and someone picking up a domain at the same time so if it is something really good or you really want it it's always a good idea to register it right away rather than waiting ;)

9. Jesse

Well no shiznit. I don't really want the domain that bad.. but once someone else has it, obviously I'm going to want it. Yaddidadidig? I just mainly use it for suggestions, not looking up direct domains. Not even sure if I looked it up on there, but think I did. Ah well. Lets me focus on my other ideas in the meantime :o

10. HYBR|D

HYBR|D Beep Beeeeee'p

I've had that happen a few times in the past, just brainstorming typing in random possible names, then go think about all the possible names, choose my favourites and find that they have been snapped up..

pisses me off so much. Even when those names just sit there parked for a year or so.

11. loedown

loedown Active Member

Happens to me all the time

12. loedown

loedown Active Member

same here

13. elekt

elekt New Member

if any idea that you actually take the time to look up a domain for isn't worth the $7 risk, you should just blow your brains out now.

14. Jesse

:hsugh:

I have a shitton of domainsthat just idle and expire. Why buy one if I'm not certain I want to put forth the effort to work on?

15. jjones

jjones New Member

I've never had this happen but then again, I don't bother with domains until I'm fairly certain I'll do something with it. I'll already have the project in mind when it comes time to find an available domain.

I just buy it immediately when I find one that will serve the purpose, even though I don't always follow through with the project. If I end up not following through with the site, I just let it lapse and I'm out a few bucks, no big deal.

16. Mangos

Mangos New Member

godaddy sells recent domain searches to third parties

17. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

I've had this happen through multiple sites. Now I just search with Network Solutions then register elsewhere.

18. Angry Ed

Angry Ed Active Member

Several of them godaddy, domainsbot, etc, sell their recent searches to businesses that literally register thousands at a time just to park.

Talk about shady.

19. cakennedy

cakennedy New Member

Whoa...hold on. That simply does not happen at the first registrar you mentioned.

What's going on is called domain kliting. On any given day, between 2 and 4 million domains are registered. More than 95% of those domains -- often more than 99% -- are "kited" domains, or ones that will be returned to the registry within 5 days for a full refund of the purchase price. There are several hundred professional domainers that control almost all of the kiting activity; they will register tens or hundreds of thousands of domains at a time, test their traffic for 4 days, and return 99% of them, keeping only the ones that get a bit of direct navigation traffic. Many domains will be kited for several add/drop periods in a row, or get cycled between several kiters. As such, the domains are unavailable for registration while being kited, though they'll go in and out of availability statuses regularly.

Registrars, at least legitimate ones, do not sell or keep domain search results.

20. cakennedy

cakennedy New Member

Absolutely, 100%, incorrect. See above.

21. jjones

jjones New Member

These people rank lower than pond scum.

22. orangecuse

orangecuse OT Supporter

Whether it is a domain taster, or whether it is the registrars themselves you are being watched on most domains you type into a registrar, especially with godaddy.

Believe who and what you want.

If your domain has been snagged, check back in 5 days to see if your domain has been dropped(like cakekennedy noted), often times this will happen if the taster is not getting any type in traffic. With that said, do NOT type in the URL in your address bar, you are only giving a reason for this person to hold onto your name.

23. cakennedy

cakennedy New Member

That's just simply not true. There may be some shady registrars that share/sell domain search data, but none of the big registrars do that. I can 100% guarantee you that the biggest registrar doesn't do it.

With so much abuse of the add/drop system going on, it's more than likely that a domain will show available one day and unavailable the next. That biggest registrar -- the first in your list -- is leading the campaign against add/drop abuse.

24. orangecuse

orangecuse OT Supporter

I didn't mean that godaddy themselves sell the data....it's more likely that people are scraping godaddy as you enter the domain in the search box.

I personally have had domains snagged out from underneath me, and countless others have had the same thing happen on godaddy specifically.

However, there is a thread on this topic over at the domain name forums (trying to find it). One of the respected members came forward and basically admitted that the large registrar he used to work for shared all the searches to their employee's at the end of the day, 7 years ago. If they were doing it years ago I certainly wouldn't doubt any of them are doing it today.

25. Jesse

For the one I was considering:
    Expiration Date: 25-oct-2008

Still likely it could be dropped? It was registered on Oct 25th.