WEB Domain Tasting

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by maxxpower, Feb 11, 2008.

1. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

Im reading up on the upcoming proposed actions to prevent and stop domain tasting. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_tasting )

With the following statement...
    http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-29jan08.htm

Can we expect that once Google and ICANN follow through with their efforts to stop this practice, that a significant portion of those 51 million domain names will soon become available?

This would CERTAINLY be a nice gift to our small communities that rely on "scoring" the odd domain that may not be registered.

Im looking forward to at least finally having the chance to register some of the 51m domains that are permanently parked by unscrupulous registrars.

Is my assumption somewhat right?

2. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

in 4 this

shits way lame

buying virtual realestate... this isnt 2nd life its the interwebz

3. Comtrad

Comtrad Guest

Hopefully that goes through. That's some BS.

4. maxxpower

anyone else got some insight into this?

5. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

It may slow down some of the tasting but there are some big players in that scene with a lot of money connected. I really doubt just google pushing will stop it but could be a start to get other companies to follow along. The real thing that would help stop or slow it down is to make the 5 day grace period either go away or much more controlled...maybe even add a "restocking fee" for domain refunds to make it cost a lot more and more risk for the tasters.

6. transistor

transistor Well-Known Member

i do. www.pool.com has a catch and release service. you can test a domain for 5 days for like 20 cents. park it for those 5 days and see if it gets and traffic. if it does, keep it.

7. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

network solutions use this to camp on domains searched on their page so they cannot be purchased elsewhere.

8. maxxpower

The proposal is to add a fee
    This has an opportunity to be HUGE for us little guys.

9. oakafanforlife

oakafanforlife New Member

Has anyone ever used one of those programs that can search for available domains based on keywords? I saw a program like that for sale on ebay yesterday for $20. I was just curious if they are worth it or not.

10. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

I'd be glad to see tasting put to an end. GoDaddy and Network Solutions are notorious for this, search for a domain, no matter how silly, and it'll be registered shortly if you don't buy it immediately. Of course once it's purchased, if it's a new domain, they want a bunch more for it, since they "own" it, and if it gets dropped, someone else will register it later due to being dropped.

I think a small fee to buy, and restock would go a long way to discourage this practice. If you figured something like a .25 fee to buy and restock within the 5 day grace period, that'd mean GoDaddy alone would loose over 12 million bucks a month if they kept this practice up. It'd also be nice if they wouldn't allow a registrar to re-register a restocked domain to stop domain kiting at the same time.

11. maxxpower

The entire domain business is corrupt and unlawful.
    I dont know about you guys, but im sick of the same domains ive searched for 8 fucking years ago parked and doing nothing but serving shit ads.
    Now that ive learned that most are not even PAID FOR, this infuriates me more!