Domain names and hosting

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dougfir, Nov 12, 2004.

1. dougfir

dougfir i luf korean grills

I got in on that cheapo deal from Dreamhost but I wanted to use it to host another domain. How would this work?

Let's say I have www.first.com from Dreamhost. If I register www.second.com from another place (or Dreamhost) how does my current hosting support it? Will there just be another directory in my account?

like the directory list would be:

first.com
    second.com

And if I ftp into first.com or second.com, I would see the same directory listing?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

called a domain alias.... dreamhost must set that up for you.

3. JNS

JNS New Member

do you want two seperate sites? Or two domain names pointing to one site? Pointing to same site uses domain aliasing, which is already mentioned. Having two completely seperate sites with same hosting requires a multiple domain service, which depends on the hosting if they support that or not. Most do.

4. dougfir

dougfir i luf korean grills

Well, there will be two different websites with two different domain names, www.first.com and www.second.com

But I was wondering if I can use the same webspace (500MB space with 40gig transfer/month) to host both domains.

I've been trying to find some info about this on google, but my google skillz are lacking, it seems.

The bottom line is: If it costs more for them to add that extra directory to my webspace, then I might as well get another account with them or someone else.

5. JNS

JNS New Member

Try contacting dreamhost and see if they have that service. The hosting I use allows me to set up one extra site in the same hosting plan for no additional charge. All I do is create a directory for the site and inform them so they can set it up. More than one though I would have to pay extra.

6. scorpio

scorpio Permanent Resident

Check if your account has addon domain feature.
    Otherwise U can Just create a sub domain on main site and direct second domain to that subdomain masked.
    hope this helps