Domain name question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris87, May 27, 2004.

1. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

Ok, so I have a domain name and a website. I pay x amount of money a year for it and pay for bandwidth and emails and all that other stuff thru a host, right?

I'm on a one year deal with the host company, and I will be renewing this every year for at least a few to keep my website up. Is there any possibility that I will lose the rights to my domain name? :dunno:

I just read quickly on whois.com that you can by domain names even if they're already registered.

AND

I got a letter in the mail from some cdn company (it could have possibly been from the cdn Gov't) wanting me to pay something like $75 to ensure I keep my domain for like 3 or 5 yrs or something.

:wtf:

Is this true? Do i have to do this? I've never heard of this before. My fucking web designer never mentioned it.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I seriously don't know.

Thanks

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You can't squat on a name, but you can purchase the rights to something if it does become available (ie you didn't renew). In most cases, the company (you) owns the name, however if you just didn't think twice about it, chances are its in the host's (ISP's) name. Best to talk to them and purchase the rights from them so that you are in control of the name.

BTW, they have to register the name with someone like Network Solutions - a select few companies that control the registering of domain names.

3. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

As far as I know, stuff saying "pay us to keep your name" is a scam/ripoff. Just make sure you renew your name with the registrar before it expires.

Correct me if I'm wrong :hs:

4. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

yes, keep the domain registration up, of the registrar will take it and put it for sale

It's ok to let the hosting die (no page, but you still own the domain) or change providers

5. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

Ok, great. Thanks alot everyone. :bigthumb: