WEB Domain name availability, yes. NO!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Finest, May 5, 2008.

1. Finest

Finest OG #93

So I recently had an idea for another personal website (photo/graphics portfolio mainly). I went to GoDaddy to check availability for a few domain names, and there's one that would possibly work. I didn't pull the trigger on the name yet since I was playing with a few designs before setting the name in stone. I also "shopped around" for domain registrations and clicked on the first link that came up on Google.

Network Solutions. Being a "premium" link, I didn't think anything of it. I, again, checked availability and go through the checkout process to figure out a final price. At the end, it was more expensive to go with them, so I cancelled and went back to check out GoDaddy (just found the thread for promo codes). Checked availability and IT'S TAKEN! WTF?! It was not more than an hour ago that I checked GoDaddy and it was available. Did a Whois and guess who registered the domain? NETWORK SOLUTIONS! WTF?

How the fuck do I get my domain back?! And get this, I go back to Network Solutions and check availability on their site. It's AVAILABLE! :squint:

2. autox

autox OT Supporter

yep, thats network solutions for you. Biggest scumbags out there for domains

3. Finest

Finest OG #93

Did some digging and it may just be a 4 day temporary lock on the domain name:

Either way, that's a shitty way to do business if they "steal" your searched domain names to try and force you to buy it from them for a "low low" price of $35/year! Fuck that! GoDaddy was like $14 with private registration.

4. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

if you even browse the web on tech sites etc, you would of known that network solutions are douche bags and register every search. let a week go by and they will release it. they are only 'tasting' it.

5. Finest

Finest OG #93

Well, I know now! :o

I don't browse/surf tech sites that often. I was just looking to start up a personal website to upload and share my photos/graphics. I guess I'll have to wait a week or so and check back. Hopefully no one snipes it from under me.

6. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

yeah it's funny, they (network solutions) say they are helping users prevent front running by front running themselves lol.

You can wait for the grace period to end but now that it is basically going to be "dropped" you might have to fight with all the drop bots that try to scoop up any dropped domains to taste...sometimes many in a row, drop after drop. If that happens it could be held up for weeks.

Just keep checking back and stay far far away from network solutions.

I use register.com to check domain availability and have never been frontrunned like that.

7. Finest

Finest OG #93

Yea, let's hope it doesn't get snatched up after the grace period. :x:

8. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

sounds like that is grounds for a lawsut im just not sure what kind

9. mayanks_098

mayanks_098 New Member

Networ solutions are scum bags.
    They take your search terms and show that domain as taken so that you buy that domain at a higher price! :|

10. Finest

Finest OG #93

FINALLY! Got my domain back. Registered it right away too.