WEB Domain included with host service...question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YourMomOnRyeBun, Jul 17, 2008.

1. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

Say you sign up with a host service that "includes a free domain". You get your domain name registered through the service as you sign up for your host account.

Do you still own this domain name? Do you have control over it? Say I don't like their service and want to move to another provider down the road, can I move the domain? I tried to read the "fine print" but didn't find anything (yet) that addresses this issue.

In the past I have signed up for the host independantly of registering the domain, so I have never come across this issue.

2. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Yes you own it (at least 99% of the time, i'm sure there are shady sites out there that register it in their name and keep it if you cancel service).

3. Browning

Browning Active Member

Yopu probably could move it but it's going to be a pain in the ass more than likely. Never get both at the same place.

4. bawlinmo

bawlinmo Neighborhood Graphic Designer

yeah you own it, and transferring domains isn't that hard, it's just time consuming.

1and1 hosting had a deal where if you buy their 4.99 a month package you get 2 free dot coms with it. I bought it...

people don't seem to like 1and1 much on OT, but I haven't had a problem yet. (granted I've never tried using their customer service...)

5. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

you own it, but if you cancel hosting before a certain time, you might have to pay them for the initial registration (or whatever is left of it) at an inflated price.

6. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

I have 1&1, love it