WEB Domain, Host, Now what? (starting a forum)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AustinL911, Apr 9, 2008.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Posted here a few weeks back about starting up a forum. I went through GoDaddy.com; bought my domain name(s), Bought a months worth of Hosting (to see how it goes), and I'm pretty sure I'm going to use phpBB for my forum.

Now the question is, how do I go about the last step? Once I download phpBB, how do it get it 'online' on my GoDaddy host?

2. Browning

Browning Active Member

I'm not sure if godaddy use cpanel or not?

But look for fantastico. You'll be able to setup the phpbb forum there.

Also, in order for the domain to point to your server you'll have to add godaddys nameservers to your domain

3. AustinL911

I'm in the Hosting Control Center as I type. I'd assume that's the Cpanel you speak of?

Also, it asked me which of the GoDaddy domain names I wanted to attach to the host. I'm assuming that's what you mean by pointing to the server?

*I'm COMPLETELY new to all of this...:hs:

4. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

If I remember it correctly, it's under your Hosting Control Center, Databases, mySQL. You will need to create a database with a name, userid, password, and server location. Then put that in your phpBB configuration file and the script will propagate all the initial data.

5. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

austin: clean out your PM's

6. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Godaddy is one of the worst places to use for hosting. Use Dreamhost or Hostgator.

7. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

:rofl:

telling someone godaddy is terrible and then suggesting dreamhost is like .... :rofl:

8. Finest

Finest OG #93

Just a tip if you have Fantastico: The phpbb versions are not always up to date. Check phpBB for the most current version (I believe it's 2.0.23 for phpBB2).

But yes, it's much easier to setup using Fantastico, otherwise you'll have to FTP all the relevant files and folders and manually set up the database. Once you have all that done, then you have the awesome chore of customizing your forum. :o There are literally thousands of templates available, and countless more "mods". Took me an entire month of sleepless nights to get my forums up and running the way I like it before going live with it.

9. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

I don't use them, but I've heard lots of good things about Dreamhost, seriously. I read a LOT of forums, and that's what I keep hearing. And nothing but bad about Godaddy.

My dedicated host is Serverbeach. A little expensive, but... it's a dedicated server.

10. AustinL911

I only bought one month of hosting from GoDaddy, just to try it out. I've got a local guy working on building the site and setting it up from this point. I don't have the slightest clue how to do it myself, don't feel like learning, and figure I'd just rather pay him to do it.

Thanks for the advice though.

11. Finest

Finest OG #93

How are you going to "try it out" when you're not really doing anything with it?

That's like leasing a sports car, have it washed and waxed each day, mod it with some upgrades, but never getting behind the wheel only to return it to the car dealer. :o

12. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Now charge for main forum access and sit back.

13. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

:werd:

But hostgator isn't TOO bad. Cheap, good speeds, just shitty rules.

14. Kevin

Kevin New Member

:rofl:

"Smoking cigarettes is terrible for your health. Try drinking bleach"

15. ShitPickle

ShitPickle New Member

I wouldn't suggest phpbb. It has many security problems.

16. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

This is why I have 3 vB licenses. Most mods will take literally seconds to install and still work when you update the software (at least with minor rivision updates). Template changes will propagate down to child templates, and you can keep those changes when updating the software too. vB FTW! :bigthumb:

17. Bonken

Bonken New Member

I'm unsure exactly on how much help you need, but so far I don't see that anyone has given you step by step instructions, and it seems it's what you need so here you go:

In cpanel, click domains, and you need to add your domain there. If you can't find the way to add it, submit a ticket to godaddy.

In your email with all your information, you'll of received some FTP information. FTP is the file transfer protocol. www.download.com I suggest "SmartFTP" free to use, enter in your information when you're there.

When it loads, you should see either:

yourdomain.com, httpdocs, www, httdocs etc it'll be one of these folders, inside simply upload example.txt or any file, then check to see if it has uploaded by entering your domain in your browser /example.txt (case sensitive) after your domains working like that, time for your forum.

You have a choice of many types, here's some:

SMF - I believe to be free? I've never used.

PunBB - It's the most customizeable of all forums imo, but you'll need to be decent at php to use punbb imo.

PhpBB - probably most simple forum of all, phpbb.com - You have a choice between 3.0 and 2.x I personally prefer 2.x but thats my opinion.

IPB - A smart board, however costs money.

Vbulletin - Another smart one, but ofcourse costs :p

I'd say that's the best forum types, so upload them into a directory say /forums/ (right click create folder inside www root) so you upload the files and folders, it should have index.php in the folder you're uploading which contains all folders.

So when succesfully uploaded you'll see something like alot of php files and folders in the directory you uploaded to, one being index.php and a folder called includes, is a example.

After this, you need to run the install.php file. So point in your browser, for phpbb i think it's www.yourdomain.com/install/install.php it'll ask for some information.

The only ones which you need to change, are your administrative information (create yourself) and your MYSQL information. Time to go back to your hosting panel - create a mysql database, create for example mydomain_database as the database, mydomain_user as the user, and mydomainpassword as the password.

You may need to edit the sql permissions, so select all. Okay so enter it, click ok and you're up. It may request for you to delete something, with phpbb it's the install and contrib folders so just delete those in ftp.

You're up & running, I hope this helped, that's if you still needed help - I don't visit the site much anymore but if you have any problems, (if you used my guide that is - you might of already knew all this so I may of wasted time :ugh: ) then drop a reply and i'll help.

18. AustinL911

Whoa man. Thanks. Seriously. That's about what I was looking for. If my guy doesn't come through for some reason, then I've got this to fall back on.

Much appreciated, Brotato. :wavey::wavey::wavey:

19. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

yea if you need help w. phpbb hit me up.

make sure you delete the install files after you run it (at least for phpbb)

20. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Care to share them then?

21. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

Dreamhost is like an all you can eat restaurant. It's good value for money if you're a fatass or you eat a lot, but for most people you can get better quality at the same price because you don't need all that space and bandwidth.

22. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

For small sites dreamhost is ok.... still not great. I still have hosting there (only cause it's paid up through november) and I ran a bunch of small sites on it since it's unlimited domains. But when the sites started going down at least once a week and I was losing money each time, that was enough. Bought a dedicated at the end of march and been moving my sites over to there.

23. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

who you get the server with?

24. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

ThePlanet

25. Kevin

Kevin New Member

die you copying faggot.