Domain Controller help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MM983, Jan 29, 2006.

1. MM983

MM983 New Member

As an educational experience, I set up a domain controller (Win2k3) and used my laptop as a client machine. I was able to join my laptop to the domain and log into it with the username I created in AD. The domain controller is in working order and the client machine can connect.

However it sits at 'Applying your personal setttings...' for a very long time before hitting the desktop. Is this a group policy problem or something else?

:noes:

2. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

Are you on wireless?

3. dk01

dk01 Awwwwww..... OT Supporter

What kind of profiles are you using? Roaming?

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

It sounds like a DNS problem. What are you using as the DNS server on your laptop? Do not use your router or ISPs DNS servers. Although there's more than one way to do it, this is the easiest:

Enable the DNS server on your Win2k3 box. Make sure the server's host name is listed in there as a host(a) record. Under the properties of the dns server, go to the forwarders tab and enter your ISP's DNS servers there.

Under the TCP/IP setup of both the laptop AND the server, point it to ONLY the IP address of the server. Yes, the server will be using itself as the DNS server. The result is that all DNS lookups go to your domain controller. If the server can handle it (like when the laptop looks for the server) it will do so. If the server can't handle the request, like when you enter www.offtopic.com into your address bar, it will forward the request to your ISP's DNS servers. DNS is the glue that holds a Win2000 domain together. Improperly configured DNS will cause all kinds of problems.