Domain and Workgroup question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gaylord Focker, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

My girlfriend's laptop from work is part of a domain. My home network uses workgroups. Is there anyway for her to browse my network at home without unjoining her domain?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

just create a local account on her laptop, and have her sign in with that (instead of her domain login) Regardless, she should still be able to browse your files even if she's logged in with her domain account. You may need to setup security so she has access.

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

My computer at work is part of an AD domain. From that machine I can browse (after providing the proper credentials) other machines that are part of a different domain, and machines that aren't part of any domain. :dunno:

Windows stores your credentians on a machine by machine basis, so you can be logged into a domain with one un/pw and other machines with a different un/pw.

I guess what I don't see if why you need to unjoin the machine from the domain, especialy since you are just connecting a workgroup.

4. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

thanks guys, i should have followed the instructions in here instead of the ones from the thread i posted in the main forum :o i changed it from domain to workgroup, then i rebooted. her login didn't work anymore. is there anyway to revert back to the old settings? i don't have the adminitrative password :sad2:

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

lol, her IT dept at work will have to do that. :hsugh:

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Ja, you need an Domain Admin account to add the machine back into the domain.