SRS Doing something daily for my recovery.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nukegoat, Jan 31, 2005.

1. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

I figure I don't talk much on my own life much in this forum, and I have since adopted eligh's simple 3-part daily process to keep my life from losing all structure.... as a result I need to do something daily for my recovery and I thought maybe a self-admitting inventory might do good.

I have over 3 years right now. About 3 years, 1 month actually. I am no longer smoking but it's not really easy. I have since realized that I don't really like thinking about how long its been since i stopped smoking cigs (for a couple reasons). The most predominant is that I'd rather just not even consider smoking a cigarette. As a matter of fact, until right now I hadn't even thought about having one... the less I consider it, the better I figure.

School has started and its stressful already. I'm not so much worried about the coursework but rather just the way the schedule is set up :sad2: I have basically 8 hours without a break... I don't know how I'm going to stay nourished... I don't like being hungry (and supposedly its dangerous to your recovery!)

I still dream about using drugs. Last night I dreamed that I did a whole varied collection of drugs in my dream. It sucks waking up and feeling like crap.

In all reality though, my biggest problem right now is slacking off. I sit on the computer way more than I should. I can't really go do something else sometimes. I just lack motivation. When I finish this thread, however, I am going to read some more and take a shower before I go to bed.

Anyways, sometimes life still requires a re-grounding to my basic principles of recovery, even with over 3 years. I know thats not an incredible amount of time but it feels like quite a while for me. Life just seems a little plain right now. I think I could just use a girlfriend or something. We'll see what this semester holds :wavey:

2. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

sounds rough, I've never gone through recovery, but I wish you luck

btw, I heard for like MA and other 12 step programs, they don't reccomend a relationship until you're fully recovered, but I'm not sure

3. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

:rofl: You're never fully recovered, recoverING is a continual process. They recommend staying away from a relationship and not quitting smoking in the first year. This isn't in any of the texts, it's simply said around the fellowship.

To the thread starter, I can sympathize with the drug dreams ... I actually had a dream you bought a Parliament buy one/get one free and I took the free pack a few nights ago. As far as the smoking is concerned, I too would rather just have it out of my mind and not bother thinking about how long it's been since I had a cigarette. I can also sympathize about the computer usuage, luckily a lot of my computer addiction is fed at work, and I'm usually good by the time I get home.

In addition, I'm sure the girlfriend thing will come if it needs too. I'm more concerned right now with developing some solid friendships (especially with females). I found a new young people's meeting I like going to, and hopefully some friendships will come out of that. Maybe you should look for a meeting you really like, and regularly attend it, something good could come out of it (i.e. make new friends / help newcomers). We'll probably see a few more threads in here when you feel like doing something lazy for your recovery :p

4. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

:wiggle: You sound like you're doing great! Only thing is you didn't put in if you're going to meetings on a regular basis. I'm trying to find balance right now too. With work and my commute I'm gone 12 hours a day, I've been going home for an hour or so and hitting a meeting most nights, but then I get caught in the circle of not relaxing and staying up too late every night just to do it all over again. Then my weekends are shot because I need to sleep and do laundry, not to mention that our NA area always has some fun thing happening on the weekend, so for now its okay, but I need time to ride my horse and exercise. I am taking guitar lessons, but because of my schedule I haven't been practicing, just one more thing to work on. Congrats on your time, you're right behind me, I've got 38 months to your 37.