Doing some straight line racing tomorrow

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by jdw, Jul 20, 2008.

1. jdw

jdw New Member

Street Legal races at the drag strip tomorrow. First pass on a bike and I haven't made a pass in 3 years since back when I was running low 15s in my Thunderbird. :hsugh:

I have a feeling it'll be a case of '11 second bike, 13 second rider' syndrome.

2. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

I hold the rpms at about 5K and let the clutch out to the point where it just starts to disengage. Get moving on the last yellow. I don't give it any more throttle until the clutch is almost totally out. After the 1-2 shift don't use the clutch anymore.

If you can get a decent launch you should have no trouble making 11 second passes.

3. jdw

jdw New Member

Yeah, getting off the line is my biggest concern - both keeping the front end down and keeping the back tire from spinning. We'll see what I think of dragging the bike - maybe I'll invest in a strap for the future to keep the front end down a little better. Buddy I rode with a couple weeks ago said his strap was good for 3 tenths at 60'.

If the past plays true I should easily get 10+ passes in. Figure I'll make a couple easier passes to see how the bike likes the track and then give it hell.

I have a feeling this is going to make me want either a bigger bike or a car again. :hsd:

4. jdw

jdw New Member

exactly what I was expecting - although looking at it now this bike won't make it very far into the 11s...

Best pass of the day was 12.28 @ 114.15. Ran semi-consistent around 12.43 later in the day - but spent the better half of the morning around 13.3....

5. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

what kinda bike?

6. jdw

jdw New Member

96 CBR600F3

Was thinking about making passes again Sunday but my manual CCT just showed up yesterday. The chain quit making noise for now but I know if I go racing it's going to start up again. Planned on putting the CCT in right away but if I can get away waiting until fall or early spring next year - I will so I can take the time to do it right.

7. zatotheck

zatotheck New Member

Did you have any scary situations with the front wheel coming up?

8. jdw

jdw New Member

It only lifted hard once and it was the first time I've had the front wheel of this thing off the ground. After that I carried the front wheel out a ways a couple of times - no big deal.

Best time was had launching between about 7k and 8k. I just wasn't quite ready to leave at 10k+ which an experienced racer told me I needed to do to hit the times I wanted. I do think the bike started to spin out around 30-60' later in the day - nothing crazy but it felt a little loose at times. Started hitting the water box after that to get a little heat in the rear tire.

My other problem is getting back on the pegs for the 1-2. NHRA requires boots over the ankle so I wore my heavy work boots out there and I just don't have good enough feel with them. They're great once I'm on the pegs because they're big enough I get a nice clean decisive shift without too much movement.

I'm looking forward to my next time racing though. See if I can get myself over the tank enough and be comfortable out of the hole so I can launch it a little harder.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008