A&P Doing my first wedding Sunday...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by tenplanescrashing, Aug 5, 2006.

1. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

And I have no idea what im doing. One of my employees is getting married and his photographer ditched out on him at the last minute. He can't offer me much but I didn't ask for anything since I told him i've never done this and told him not to expect anything horribly exciting. He agreed and now im hired!

im taking my d70 with my Tokina 12-24 & my SB-800 and my friend is letting me borrow her d200 as a second body...but I haven't decided whether I want to put a tamron 28-75 or the nikon 18-70 on it. it will also have an sb800 on it.

any kind of tips you'd recommend lens wise or regarding the wedding? I know to be there for the most crucial moments but how many shots should I take during the actual ceremony? it is outside, should I leave a polarizer on at all times? im not horribly worried about it but I'd like to do a great job since I wouldn't mind the word-of-mouth for other types of shoots...

2. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Do you have a flash bracket?

Whatever you do, make sure you do your best to make the bride NOT look fat.

3. tenplanescrashing

no, i thought about getting one but I never did.

I have a slimming plug-in for photoshop I plan on using for her photos. ;)

4. mojito

mojito New Member

you'll want a long lens for the ceremony, and a fast lens for later on, lots of batteries for the flash, lots of memory

5. mojito

mojito New Member

6. tenplanescrashing

that was a cool pdf. very detailed and very informative.

the only long lens I have is my 70-300...you'd suggest I use this?

7. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

Shoot NEF if you can.

8. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

since it's outside, the 70 300 should be okay though a good prime in the 85 or 135mm focal range would be nice.

there will be times when you do not want to be right up there in there face (plus it lets others in the crowd get some clean pics w/o the photographer in the frame).

9. Relay

Relay New Member

First wedding i did i had:

canon 20d with 24-70 and 70-200 L

and as a second body i had a nikon d70 with the 18-70.

I used the canon for most of the indoor ceremony, and used the nikon with the sb-800 on a braket for the nighttime reception outdoors.

pictures came out fairly well for my first time, and the client was happy with the results and was telling me about how his family member was married recently and they paid an outrageous price for photos that didnt look as good as the ones i took.

the first wedding will be a great learning experience.

My recommendation...the hardest part of the ceremony to get good shots is when people are walking down the aisle.

Have a "hesitation point" marked somewhere about half way down the aisle, and discuss with everyone in the ceremony that they should pause for a couple seconds at that spot and look at the camera. You will get good shots and wont worry if you missed something, or if the shot was blurry.

10. tenplanescrashing

to say the least, this isn't a traditional wedding nor do they expect much. I honestly think they want someone there that can take better pictures than anyone in the crowd...in comes me! i'll see what I can do about the setup and I definitely want to bring my 70-300 now. should I skip out on the 12-24 or bring it just incase? the lenses I can choose from are as follows:

tokina 12-24
    tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    nikon 50mm
    nikon 18-70
    nikon 70-300

I have 2 bodies with one lens on each and i'd like to minimize the amount of lenses im carrying.

11. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

and use flash

12. tenplanescrashing

i've got 2 sb-800's going on both bodies.

13. hsubaru

hsubaru New Member

If it's today, you may be too late, but if you have time, go rent a 70-200 f/2.8 and an 85mm f/1.4 or f/1.8. The 70-300 is pretty useless from 200-300mm... and the 18-70 is great if you give it enough light.

14. tenplanescrashing

i am renting the 70-200 but it won't be here until tuesday...:(

15. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

I've shot 2 weddings so far my Nikon D70 was main body /w Sb600 the KIT + 50 1.8 + Sigma APO SUPER II.... and the clients loved the shots... so shows you don't really need much but obviously better equipment helps... I don't use a bracket but I do use a flash diffusor and try to bounce as much as possible, also hand holding works if you set it to remote mode, and a reflector is pretty usefull for outdoor situations... night time as well /w flash... Gary Fong Lightsphere and II are awesome too!

But yeah make sure you have TONS OF batteries and CF cards ;) faster the better.

Going to buy an Sb-800 soon, I guy had an amazing price off of craigslist, but I never ended up going for it; soon, too many other expenses lol.

16. Relay

Relay New Member

i used a wide angle lens to get shots of the church before the ceremony, and during the ceremony i snapped a couple as wide as the lens would let me.

17. tenplanescrashing

im hoping to use the wide angle for a couple of shots to include the wedding setup and layout but i'll probably stick to using the tamron and 70-300 for the rest. the portrait shots i'll probably use the 50mm.

18. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

If you're photographing a group of people you can go wide, but avoid taking closeup portraits using wide angle. Mild telephoto (~70mm) is actually more flattering as it compresses people rather than making them look rounder than they are.

19. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

So how'd it go? :dunno: