Doing MSF training this weekend

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Cachee0, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I signed my wife and I for the MSF training. Went last night for the class room part. I learned a bunch of things and started to apply them this morning for my ride. Really a good thing to do even if you are a experinced rider. The only thing that sucks is that it's going to be 29 out all weekend :wtc: and I'm in Florida :rofl:. I'll take pics over the weekend.

2. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

Coworker went to his MSF course a few weekends ago. It was 33 and raining
    all weekend. He still said he hand fun....not sure how.

3. Cachee0

I guess I'll find out:)

4. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

it was pouring when i took the test on the last day...i only got 3 points off though :o

you learn better in adverse conditions

5. 7960

7960 New Member

8 people in my class. It started raining on the last day during the last person's test....... mine :(

6. Cachee0

Ya that's seems like my luck too. Checked the weather seems clear but you know weather men. Only job you can be wrong 70% and keep it.

7. Frequency

Frequency New Member

When i took the class the first time it was 50 and pouring 1 day and the test day it was 95+

8. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

id rather it be colder than hot. when i took mine it was about 90 and humid as shit. literally sweating while standing in the shade. then we were required to wear full face helmets, long sleeve shirts, jeans, over the ankle shoes or boots, and gloves. it wouldnt have been bad if we did some riding but most of the time was spent on hot blacktop, bikes running, listening to the instructors blabber on

9. Cachee0

So first ridding day just finish. Lots of fun I feel like I'm learning or learned alot. I was talk with a nice girl from our class and she just picked up a 1000 GSXR. She had a hard time shifting through the track. She is really a nice person I hope she does not end up in a tree with that beast. Some people never been on a bike before so they needed to learn just how to use a clutch and shift gears. But fun day I only got 1 wrong on the written test and my wife got a perfect score. Around the corse I would scrap the pegs all over and people thought I kinda half crashed LOL

The only way this corse would be better is if I was on my own bike learning and mastering this stuff on my own machine.

10. MeanFiddler

MeanFiddler The C.I.A. is Trying to Kill Me

I can't even begin to fathom the thought process people go through when they buy a litre sportsbike when they've never touched a bike. Just blind ignorance, I think.

Congrats on your written test score, though. Nice job scraping the pegs as well! :big grin:

11. jtl090179

wow, we didnt do our written until the last day. none wrong :bigthumb: for me. and the thought process of people that buy new bikes with little to no research is that bigger is better. faster is good too. if you havent been on a bike before and notice that even little tiny 250 cc bikes are pretty quick in and of themselves, then youll never know until you hit a tree

12. Cachee0

Well I was the only one in the class to have a perfect score on the ridding test.:naughty:

I was ridding that 125cc Kawi during MSF and I got home and took out my Ducati for spin and man it's fucken fast(compared). But your right even a small bike can be alot of fun unless it's a Buell Blast. Even the 125cc Kawi are alot better. My wife did great she only got 5 points added and those were because of the U-turn, she just went over the line and not enough speed through the corning. Plus she was tried and cranky from the cold weather wind and sun.

I have to say guys go for MSF even if you been ridding for years. Even if you know everything the reminder or pratice is worth it. You guys thinking of buying a bike and never ridden before this is a cheap way to find out if you would really like biking.

13. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

A coworker's wife has a Blast with a Vance & Hines system, I rode it for a bit last summer and that little thing is fun! They don't weigh a thing and with the full system on it had some kick to it (plus it sounded fantastic).

14. jtl090179

:werd: and above all that, its actually kind of fun doing some of the riding stuff

15. 7960

7960 New Member

Our class started at 9am and the only time we stopped was for 3-5 minutes for him to explain the next course (while the other guy set it up) and for lunch. From 9am to about 3pm we stopped 45min for lunch and then maybe 30 more minutes, 5 minutes at a time. What did the guy blabber on about??

The bike you buy doesn't show ignorance. How you ride it while you're learning to ride is what shows ignorance. I'd never owned a bike (I'd ridden, though) and my first bike was a 1450cc harley. I took it very easy for the first few hundred miles, getting used to the bike, how it rode, how I like to ride, etc. If someone's getting on a 1000cc bike and going 100mph on the way home then they're going to die. But if they take their time I don't see a problem with hit.

16. Cachee0

Trust me after putting over 3K on a Buell Blast you would change your mind. I had a Jardin exhaust on mine and it still sucked.

17. Cachee0

18. 7960

7960 New Member

I couldn't shift my 125cc bike during MSF training......... but I'm 6'3" and my feet didn't physically didn't fit between the peg and shifter :rofl:...the guy gave me a pass on the section where I had to shift from 1-2-1-stop because I couldn't get it into 2nd without taking my foot off the peg and kicking the shifter and he didn't want me to take my foot off :rofl:

I learned to ride on a friend's gsxr 750. I quickly realized if I owned that bike I'd die. I ended up with a cruiser because I want to sit and enjoy a 2 hour ride, not push it hard and see how fast I can exit every turn.

19. jtl090179

he blabbered about his motorcycle training philosophy and how it differed from the norm. how what he teaches is more a street oriented style while others taught by the book. he blabbered on about all of his experiences in each different trial and why they were useful. and oh yeah, he blabbered on about racing his cbr1000rr and numerous tracks around the country every summer and how much he like to lean and scrape peg and knee :cool:

20. 7960

7960 New Member

your instructor was a jackass

21. Cachee0

22. 7960

7960 New Member

I'm not huge. A 125cc bike is small.

This is me on my heritage classic

[​IMG]

23. Cachee0

Very nice bike I always liked those.

24. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

she's had hers for 3 years (I think in september she had 60k) and still loves it. To each their own ;)

25. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

There is a world of difference between a TC88 Harley and a 1000cc sportbike. It has twice the horsepower, half the weight, and it's a hell of a lot more touchy. Modern 1000's are a full-on race machine with mirrors, lights, and gauges tacked on. There should be laws against beginners buying those bikes.