Doing an sc300 this weekend. clearcoat peeling questions

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Milin, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

im doing a severely neglected red sc300 this weekend. (lexus)
    The paint is in bad shape but nothing polish can't fix really nicely.

the only problem I see is the clearcoat in some spots.

There are some spots where there is obvious oxidation even from far away. the red paint looks a little pink. (The headlights are also VERY yellow. I will take before and after pictures. This will be my first "big project" detailing wise)

Now in these spots you can see a VERY PAPER THIN layer of clearcoat flaking off like dandruff. I am fairly certain that this is the factory clearcoat flaking off (not peeling, but flaking...looks like a sunburn!)

I will take pics today. I am doing the car this weekend.

What should I do to fix the borked clearcoat spots?

my plan is this: wash the whole car with dawn. Use a meguiars color restore on the pinky spots scratchX a lot of the parts of the car and then use a good polish (don't know what would be good on here though probably some ClearKote)

and then finish off with poorboys EXP? or should I put some meguiars yellow wax?

basically what are some suggestions on what to do and how do I go about fixing the clear coat spots?

2. GJBenn85

GJBenn85 New Member

You cannot properly fix the flaking/peeling clear without respraying the clear on the entire car. I would be cautious about using any sort of abrasive polish on a car like this as it may do more harm than good. Use a chemical cleaner to remove or reduce the oxidation (I'm not familiar with Color Restore).

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Washing a car with bad paint with Dawn is about the worst thing you can do. The paint is already bone dry and you will make it worse with Dawn.

If the clear coat is peeling, it is beyond hope. Pics might help.

4. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

I'll grab some pics today with the gf's SD300.