Doing a paper / rhetorical analysis on steroid use in strength sports

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TXLBS, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Does anybody know off hand some places where strength sport devoted people (powerlifting specifically if possible) talk either positively or negatively about steroid use? If anyone who has competed before would like to write a couple paragraphs detailing their thoughts on it that also works - I just need something I can quote from someone who can be viewed credible academically (and clearly thats not me).

Thanks ahead of time for any possible help.

2. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

I can see it now, BDR makes his first works cited page appearance

3. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

Steroids are bad mkay. They make yer muscle big and make you have sex with pretty women. Mkay.

4. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Dude, if I could get a couple paragraphs from BDR that I could cite, that would be fucking AWESOME!

5. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Man, its going to be hilarious seeing the reactions of people in my class when I discuss this topic without immediately demonizing them and talking about how they make your balls shrink + bone break like Barry Bonds :rofl::rofl:

6. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

You're right, I shouldn't respect someone whos squatted a thousand pounds and is the very definition of the type of person I'm writing this paper about - no instead I should make a thread for you to post workout vids and progress pics in.

7. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

its called nutswinging

8. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

It would be fucking awesome, because that would be a reputable source that I could document and use in my paper. Teachers like it when you can point to facts and back up someones credibility, and thats something I could easily do with him.

Just leave this thread - nobody is slobbering over anyones cock - and I don't need to have my thread ruined with your desire to attention whore every fucking thread in F&N. I'm trying to write a paper and make a good grade while incorporating a sport/lifestyle that I enjoy - thats it and thats all.

9. Phineas Q Stork

Here's a citation.

Pierce, Sir. (2006). "My Balls Hurt From All My Nutswingers." The Book of Ray. Retrieved on November 28, 2006, from http://www.punisher.com/goats.htm

But in all seriousness, browse outlawpowerlifting.com

10. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Thanks stork

11. Phineas Q Stork

And realize that most teachers back up someone's credibility by papers published, research conducted, etc. Not what has been posted on an informal discussion board by guys named BigHammer05 and MrMusclesXxX

12. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

For one thing, it isn't right for you to put a citation to someone's name who's career may be in jeopardy for their use of AAS. What is said on private forums and in private situations is to stay in those situations. I'm not saying that your paper is going to make it into some recognized journal or anything, but there are certain things that should remain out of print.

As for opinions... there are different types of people out there. Some that do what they do as an activity other that do it because it IS their life. Winning at all costs. Look up the author/attorney Rick Collins - he has some good stuff out there

13. Phineas Q Stork

You could always write into EFS and see if you get a good response out of them. If not, they might make a joke and it could be funny. Either way, you win

14. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

I am in no way trying to get someone to admit to breaking the law, or talk about dosages, drugs etc. Just a very basic, high level - how widespread is use? are steroids condemned or approved by active powerlifters, or does do people who participate take more of a neutral stance? Any jargon that people use who are on vs people who aren't.

I'm not taking a pro or anti steroids basis for the paper, I'm rhetorically analyzing how a writer creates credibility and a strong ethos to their intended audience, and that audience being pro or anti steroid. I might not be doing a great job of explaining it, but its a fairly complicated topic.

15. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

I've thought about this. Might actually do it.

Before I do however, when they refer to "darkside" are they referring to being on or just subscribing to the principals of westside?

16. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

email Eric Cressey. he'll probably do it.

he said a couple things in episode 19, i think, of The Fitcast.

or, you can just cite the podcast....

17. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

This is a true statement if I were doing a research paper, but I'm not. Its a rhetoric of subcultures class - which means that anywhere that people who share the common thread of a given subculture (in this case powerlifting) discuss their ideas is acceptable to quote/paraphrase.

18. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

The questions you are asking show that you don't really have any base in the world of powerlifting. They are not yes/no questions. I'd say write your paper on another topic until you get more involved in the sport (I'm not trying to come off like an asshole here, but these aren't questions you ask people - they are questions you learn the answers to by being a part of the sport)

19. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Essentially all I am trying to do is find a point of disagreement from within a subculture that can be identified, framed and argued. It seemed like steroid use would make a good controversial topic where a disagreement from within the subculture could be found. I figured for the anti-steroid or anti-testing side I could probably find some article, essay or editorial on one of the drug free federation websites. For the pro-side, I just need to find a place that I can cite where someone says that its acceptable and that its not really a big deal.

20. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

I'm aware of the answers, I just can't quote myself. Remember, this is a very high level paper I'm trying to write. The grader and class know fuckall about this topic and will likely zone out when I discuss it.

21. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

I see an Eric Cressey segment in episode 17 if thats what you were thinking?

22. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I completely agree

23. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

I don't want admission of guilt - just some general opinions on the status of the sport

24. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

shrug, im actually trying to think up a new topic at the moment. i really dont like this topic... especially considering i have to present it to the class

i just dont know of any other subcultures that i feel i know enough about that i'd want to write a paper on

25. JustBlazin

JustBlazin Ironic Punishment

not to be a dick, but if you're supposed to be doing a rhetorical analysis of something, you're on the wrong track, as it sounds a lot more like a research paper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.