Doh! Opinions on 4x6 Kappa plate speaker? Infinity Kappa 462.5cfp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StealthMode, Aug 14, 2004.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Well, today I decided to throw in my Kenwood 6.5in 2way's to replace my odd 4x6 in my front doors. Well, after removing the 4x6 and it's mounting bracket I realized that I can't install a 6.5in speaker without some serious moddage...
    me = :Owned:

Looks promising...
    [​IMG]
    :Owned:
    [​IMG]

I looked around and all I can find is a bracket to convert the 4x6 into a 4in speaker mount... Well, I'd rather not use a 4x6 for obvious reasons, so should I go ahead and mod my door, (or have a car audio shop install the 6.5 Kappa's) or buy these...
    Infinity Kappa 462.5cfp
    [​IMG]

Which would be more cost effective? I don't need them for bass, since I have a sub coming in a couple weeks for that.

So, would these 4x6 Kappa plate speakers be enough, or do I mod my door for the 6.5's?

Btw, my car is a 95 Olds Achieva :naughty: in case that helps.. Thanks for the help!

Stealth -

2. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

looks like an easy hack job, go for the 6.5s

3. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

whats your reasoning for not wanting the 4x6 if u dont need them for bass? i would go with the 6.5" no question about it...the midbass is a necessity, something u wont have much of from 4x6 mids or subwoofers.

4. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I wish it was just a hack job... I need to make a special mounting bracket for behind that black plastic bracket that holds the 4x6. A 6.5 doesn't have anything to mount to, I migh tbe able to get 1, or maaaybe 2 screws into the sheet metal. So I need an 8in ring of sheetmetal or something I can mount inside, then cut a hole in it for my 6.5. I dunno... Gonna see if one of the car audio shops would be able to do something with it and hse how much it would take. Probably going with the 6.5 if it works out. Thanks

5. 04

04 Guest

If the speakers are crossed over at around 80 to 100hz 2nd order, i can definiatly see a reason with going with a 6.5" woofer over a 4x6. If you want reasonably loud listening levels, stepping up to a larger diameter woofer would help.

Now if he was just running the midwoofer to say 300hz or something, then i'd agree with you.