Doesnt recognize my DVD/CD rom drives among other things

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RewTheJew, Dec 4, 2005.

1. RewTheJew

RewTheJew New Member

Ok... So recently (last coupla weeks) my computer is not recognizing my cd/dvd rom drives. I have tried going into system/hardware/devices and had it search for the missing drives.. It just freezes on me, and doesnt find the drives.

Also whenever i restart my computer it tells me my primary and secondary drives are not found, then i push F1 and it starts up. It takes about ten mintues on the XP load screen but then goes to my login and everything is fine.

I am quite confused about the whole situation... Any help is appreciated!

Comp specs:
    P4 3.0 gig
    1 gig ram
    radeon 9800 pro
    TDK DVDRW 880N

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Check the cables? Might be the cable came loose if you were monkeying around in the case lately. Otherwise, I'd guess one of the drives is bad.

3. evh

evh Active Member

Start -> Right Click On My Computer -> Properties

Click Hardware Tab -> Device Manager

Look for "DVD/CD-ROM Drives" and click the little plus icon.

Any of the itmes have a little yellow "!" icon next to them?

If so, click disable, and then when it's disabled, click enable to enable it again.

Should fix the problem. If not, click Uninstall instead and then reinstall the drivers.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yea, that's likely to fix a BIOS error :mamoru:

5. RewTheJew

RewTheJew New Member

they dont even show up in the device manager... only shows my virtual drives. And when i search for new hardware it just freezes on me...

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Either one of the drives is bad, unpowered, or the cable is partially unplugged/damaged. Make sure all the cables are plugged in all the way and that the drives are powered up (try eject buttons). If they are and it still won't work, remove the "slave" drive from the IDE cable and try again. If it still won't work, remove the "master" drive and set the jumper on the slave to Master and plug it back in (so the old master is unplugged and the old slave is now set to master) and try again.

If neither drive works by itself, try a different IDE cable.

7. evh

evh Active Member

Worked for me when my Drives wouldn't read any CD's and didn't show up in My Computer.

8. McSalv

McSalv New Member

I have the same problem, I've tried to reinstall the drivers, without success. There is a little yellow "!" icon next to my COMBO DVD&CD-Rw Drive and when I look at the properties, there's a message like this:
    Windows can not load the device's driver for this hardware. It is possible that the driver is damaged or it can not be found.

I don't know what to do, I went to Samsung's official site and they have this program to restore the drivers but when I open it, there's this tab where I have to select the device I want to fix but since my computer does not reconigze my DVD, I can't pick anything. Could anyone help me?

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

If he is getting an error on boot, nothing in Windows is going to help.