Does this sound like too much $ ?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Arman Tanzarian, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Arman Tanzarian

Arman Tanzarian New Member

I dropped my 06 GMC sierra off to get 2 new belts and they recommended that I get the fuel injectors cleaned and the intake ??? I don't know what they clean exactly or how they do it. They called me an hour and thirty minutes later and said it was all done and the total was $535.00 That sounds a little expensive to me. If they only had it for and 1:30 I bet they poured some injector cleaner in the gas tank.

2. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

With an '06, why would they recommend cleaning the injectors already? With only 1 1/2 hours of labor they couldn't have torn it apart to clean everything individually, I'd be pretty curious as to how they did this and charged so much.

3. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Carbon buildup depends on mileage, not age.....
    How many miles?

Most "professional" injection cleanings have a tool that sprays one type of cleaner into the engine [uses compressed air, it's not a spray can] while it's running, run another type through the fuel line [compresses air again] at the same time, and have a third put into the gas tank.

That total was for labor and parts for 2 belts and the cleaner.
    Where I am labor is ~ $90/hr.
    Truck belts [new OEM] usually run close to $100 each [depends on size].
    The cleaner we use is $90.

Depending what the flat rate time was for each belt and for the cleaner....
    It should have an outline on your receipt.

4. Arman Tanzarian

Arman Tanzarian New Member

My truck has 26000 on it. The belts were replaced because they were squealing for some reason so that wasn't covered under warranty. The manager explained pretty much what you said above. They used some cleaner and ran it through with high pressure, cleaned out the throttle body, and put something else in the tank. Yeah I guess with labor and all... and the main belt is a serpentine those are expensive. :wtc: funny how that works... I just got paid $500 for a side job now it's all gone.

5. 04blackgmc

04blackgmc New Member

Fuck! Bg type service which is a intake and tank additive cost 120-150 at most places.. and those belts can be changed in 10 mins. if that.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you were using cheap gas, it's reasonable to expect the fuel injectors to be gunked up by now. There is a difference between name-brand and supermarket gasoline. It doesn't help that most cars have puny little fuel filters that don't catch anything smaller than a grain of sand.

Consider using Chevron w/Techron from now on.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you got fucking swindled.

NEVER let them do that shit to your truck.

And gas is gas, btw. The only difference is the additives. The gas all comes from the same pipeline!

8. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

The only gas that is different is the shit they sell at those run-down looking shit stalls run by mexicans, with pumps from the 60's. Then it looks like the gas that is used in africa, which is brown. :o

9. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

you got fucked ... congrats on being a doormat.

that shits isnt needed, and serpentine belts can be had for $70 for a good one from the factory

labor is not that much, maybe $75 an hour at a big shop that has the customer base to charge shit like that ...

change your filters every 15k, change your oil every 3k, put in a can of seafoam at every other oil change, change your tranny and diff / transfer fluid every 30 with plugs and wires, change your injectors every 60-100 ...

i dont give a fuck about what synthetic oil you use that lasts for 50,000 miles ... change it religiously at 3k for conventianal, 5k for synthetic (good synthetic, not advance shit)

and i swear to god you will never have anything mechanically wrong with your vehicle.

and fuck your manual, its wrong.

run the fuck out of your new engine for the first month, to seat the rings, change the oil after the first 100, 500, and 1500 miles ... bith will run forever and never have compression / power problems / blow by

10. 04blackgmc

04blackgmc New Member

03 fullsize gas chevy's dont have a "serviceable" fuel filter anymore.