Does this music sharing application exist?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GunboatDiplomat, Jan 20, 2007.

1. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

I love writing software but, unfortunately, I have a bad habit of re-inventing the wheel. So, this time, I thought I'd double check to make sure this application doesn't already exist...

I got the idea from iTunes' network share. iTunes allows clients of a LAN to share their music library with each other. However, because of certain implementation details, this is as far as the sharing goes. So, I was wondering if I could write a program to forward iTunes' network protocol across different networks so that arbitrary people can share their music across the internet using iTunes.

At first, this was going to be my project but then something occured to me. iTunes actually tries, somewhat, to protect arbitrary music copying. You can see a bit of this when you try to extract music off an iPod. When you play a song from someone else's library, across the network, the music is streamed and there's no local copy to keep and use. You couldn't load the song on your iPod, say. What can we do about this?

So, I'm thinking I might want to implement my own music player. One with a music library that can be shared across the internet. One that caches songs as they're streamed across the network so that, if you listen to the song again, it won't be sent across the network again. This will also allow you to use the song locally, like loading it into your iPod.

It sounds like a decent project and an internet search hasn't revealed anything similar but, then again, I got a lot of false positives so I'm not confident that this application doesn't already exist.

So, does this application already exist, in some form, even partially? What do people think of this idea? Comments, questions and criticisms are welcome.
    Thank you...

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Good luck. Apple put a lot of thought into their protective and restrictive measures. Expect to be accused of stealing, possibly by iTunes itself, too.

3. peerk

peerk New Member

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

hehe even *thinking* about it is probably a DMCA violation. :greddy:

5. GunboatDiplomat

Not only is this not true but an argument can be made that the opposite is true. For instance, songs on the iPod aren't even encrypted. You can access the iPod as a flash drive and simply copy the music files off of the iPod to play from your computer. The only problem is that iTunes renamed the files so there's no way to know which song is which without playing it...

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

What are you saying? Apple don't put much thought into their DRM? (btw, finally somebody's sticking it to them. http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/25/2341240 And the DRM is still there.)

iTunes won't accuse of stealing? I stuck that in because when OS X for x86 starting making it's way around the internet, people tried to crack it and were told somewhere along the line, in a text file, "Don't steal OS X". http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/archives/2006/02/17/dont_steal_os_x_verse_and_worse.html
    Well there ya go. Btw, I always got that the idea behind renaming the files was to do with speeding up browsing and such. I'm pretty sure gtkpod, amaroK (GNU/Linux music players/ipod management software) etc have no trouble copying songs from the ipod onto the harddrive, maybe it's different when the songs were bought off iTunes though. Maybe not. iTunes (and OS X iirc) is packed with DRM. That DRM didn't just pop up from the ground.

7. GunboatDiplomat

They certainly didn't put much thought in protecting other people's copyright. At least, they didn't put much effort into it. They obviously took minimal measures to prevent people from taking songs off an iPod and nothing more...

I never said anything of the sort. I made no comment on Apple's reaction to third party software so I don't know why you felt obligated to comment on it...

"Well, there ya go..." what? What point did that make?

Renaming the files has nothiing to do with browsing speed. How can it? iTunes and iPods store song data in a database file so it can browse for songs even if it doesn't have any!

I'd be surprised if those Linux iPod managers can't copy iTunes DRMed song files off the iPod. I'd also be surprised if you couldn't play the DRMed song in any copy of iTunes or on any iPod, which makes the point of DRM lost on me. All it can do is prevent you from using any other player besides iTunes (or iPods) but doesn't stem piracy in the least. Maybe they just didn't want their music files to make other music players more popular?

iTunes has very mild "protective and restrictive measures." If they put a lot of thought into it, they were thinking that they didn't need to be very protective or restrictive...