SRS Does this make me a failure?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bowrofl, Jan 31, 2006.

1. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Hi all :sadwavey:

I'm 19 and currently in a college program for Advertising... however, I can't stand it. It's something I can't see myself doing for a living. The program itself is so unorganized, the teachers are all jokes, and I feel that it's a waste of time and money. I really just want to drop out of this program, work for the rest of the semester and re-apply to something else next year.

However, for some reason, I feel an insane amount of guilt for wanting to do this. I feel like I'm going to be lost in life forever... even though I'm 19 (and I know some people much older than me who still have no idea what they want to do).

I don't know why I'm posting... I guess I just want some input about what other people think. I really want to apply to this Music Production course at the same college... do you guys think I should get out of this Advertising program if it's something I really don't like/see myself doing?

2. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

If you really feel that way about the program then leave..but I would just move on the another area of study, don't quit school all together...

3. Create

Create :free at last:

Similar to employment, continuity is important. Gain acceptance elsewhere before quitting your current program.

I'm just worried that you'll drop out. That's the *worst* thing you can do. If you interrupt school it's really easy to justify not returning.

4. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

Only drop out of it with a concrete plan. So don't drop out with no follow through plan.. Make sure you know what you're gonna do and it's already arranged for it to be done. Example: you plan on going to a diff school; well make sure you know you'll be able to get into it first..

5. Create

Create :free at last:

Do more than that. Pay tuition at the other school. Sign your lease. Do not give yourself a choice.

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Changing your career plans is NOT something that makes you a failure. Did you know that a very large percentage of college students average 4 or 5 changes of major during their college careers? I myself have changed 3 times in 3 years, but all have stayed within one basic diciipline. I just get to a point and find out that the major I thought I wanted, doesn't focus on what/where I want to be at the end of it all. Oh well.

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I also want to add, don't let the teachers be the decisive factor of your life nor your future, Get your life back into your own hands and study hard wether they are shitty teachers or good ones, when it comes to crumbing the cookies on exams its about the skills you aquired ,and what value you present qua contents. You have free will and may desire to take a course different from what you previously have taken without feeling ashamed of yourself , the primairy reason for that is because life never goes the way you want it. Therefore adjustments are often necessery.

8. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I dunno, I went to school as an advertising art director, and I got a 50k job out here in los angeles doing that very thing.

I enjoy it.

But if it's not your cup of tea, you're only 19. time to change majors.

9. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

btw i was computer sciences for a semester before i switched :hs:

10. thegreatlanfrit

thegreatlanfrit New Member

not a failure.... if you see somthing you'd rather do, for the love of god go do it.

I have a BS in engineering (never switched majors) found the classes very interesting, actually kinda enjoyed it.

I have NEVER used my degree... i work in my family's liquor store... started out just to help out a bit.. that was 5 yrs ago.

do i feel like a failure .. u bet. ask me that question around the holidays and the answer is HELLY YEAH!

ask me the same qestion when the sun is shining and i'm out on the trails b/c my schedule allows me to be out while my friends are stuck in their offices, and i say NO WAY, i'm the luckiest man alive.

11. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

What you learn in school and what you do in a real life/job siutation are 2 different things. However, I can see how teachers "that are a joke" can ruin your perception of how a career could turn out. Perhaps before you change your mind about career paths, see if you can hook up with someone who already works in the industry. Talk to that person and see how he/she likes the line of work, get info on the ups/downs of the profession, maybe even see if you can get a tour of the workplace and see the people in action :dunno: If you can do that then perhaps you can get insight as to whether this would be something you want to do. Teachers can definitely make or break or view on things. Real world experience > classroom "experience".

I think too many people equate success/failure with how much you make or what kind of work you do. To me the most important thing in a job is being happy with who you work with. What's most important though as far as success goes, is that you are happy with what you are doing in your life. Failure is a state of mind. If you don't believe in yourself to make things work out, then you fail. It's not about how much money you make, it's how you manage the money. It's not the about what kind of job you have, it's how well you like the work environment and how well you are treated that matters. You don;t have to make a million bucks or be a CEO to succeed.

Little story, I took graphic design classes at community college when I was your age. The teacher I had for Graphic Design II pretty much just had us sitting around tracing lines and inking. My attitude toward the class became :ugh: because I did the same shit in kindergarten, literally. At the same time though, computers were just starting to become a part of everyone's lives (remember when only people with money and offices had computers?) I was hoping there would have been more computer oriented classes for art. The program ended up getting cut though because the county was going through a budget crunch. I tried going into paralegal studies. I worked at a law firm at the time (still there actually) and thought I already had a foot in the door, why not try this? That wasn't for me either. After seeing the stress the paralegals have to put up with I decided that line of work wasn't for me either. It also didn't help matters any that my father was terminally ill during my last semester in that program and died during finals week :hs: I then dropped school altogether and went to work full time to help my mom with the bills (she had never worked and then after dad was gone she had to get a job).

Later on the art program was reinstated at the community college around the corner from my house. I went back again 3 years ago and picked up with Graphic Design II again. This time I got a teacher who 1. was a real designer (her first job was with Charles Eames, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Eames ) 2. taught in design schools in L.A. and now works at the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture; and 3. treated our class like an actual art studio, she was the head designer and we were her "staff". None of this tracing/inking crap. Actually the other GDII teacher was still there and having them do the same crap :ugh:

I truly enjoyed the class. However it was an eyeopener for me that I probably can't keep up in that industy. It is highly competitive. You can have a job today, and tomorrow your ideas may be obsolete and someone else may be filling your position. I am not a competitive person. I can work under pressure and against deadlines, yes, but I dont like the added stress of trying to compete with others to keep my job. I did very well in the class, though, and other students in the class were always asking me for ideas or help, and liked my work. The class was only a small taste of how the field is.

I decided that the graphic art was better for me as a hobby rather than a profession. I do have a small side biz doing design work and an established clientele, however it is limited to a handful clients that always have a little something that needs to be done. I don't really plan on taking on any more than unless it's a referral through a client.

I'm 31 years old and never got a degree. My day job is glorfied clerical work...alot of document drafting, filing, records keeping, data entry, back up receptionist, or anything that doesn;t involve giving out legal advice or janitorial work. The people I work with are awesome. We have good benefits. We have no office drama :eek5: IF I had to pick the worst thing about my job, it would be that some people go overboard with complaining and bellyaching...whether its personal or work-related. We have a few people that can't see the good in sunshine. I think every place of employment has its token workplace grump.

Do I feel like a failure? Nope. I have a very good marriage, a stable job and everything I need...all the things I hoped to have as I was growing up.

To me, if in life you can pay your bills on time, manage to keep a roof over your head/food on the table, and maintain positive relationships with the people in your life, then you have succeeded :)

12. allanp

allanp I don't ride bulls, but i have fought some men.

I don't think it is the worst thing to do, i quit uni because i didntl like it and i am now training to be a retail manager! theres more to do than further education it aint for everyone

13. Pringles

Pringles New Member

Not at all. You are far from a failure. You are just learning about life at 19. I can't believe you even consider yourself a failure. You actually expect yourself at the age of 19 to know what you want to do for the next 60 or 80 years? That is fucking ridiculous and abserd. In college do what makes you happy. If you arent happy dont keep doing it. Theres no logic in that. Go study something you want to study in a place that you enjoy studying it. We all make mistakes because were only human.

Go get em tiger! :hsd: