Does this exist? 2 input, 1 output mini jack cable (what's it called?)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Caanon, May 28, 2007.

1. Caanon

Caanon OT Supporter

Ok my goal:
    I'm want to hook both my computer and xbox360 to my computer speakers (I have the xbox video hooked to monitor already). As it is right now I have pull my computer out unhook the PC audio from the speaker and then plug Xbox in(all this is with Mini 1/8 inch/3.5mm jacks). I want to just be able to have both plugged in, I dont care if both sending a signal to speakers might mix or whatever, I'll just have only one on at a time, or just deal with the sounds.

I tried to do this with a normal Y splitter, wasn't sure if it would work...I ended up losing 1 channel, only the left speaker would have sound from either source.

Mainly I want to know if something like this exists, and what to search on google. I know I could probably find some kind of switch thing, but is there something that just sends both signals down one line and doesn't care?

I know that I could just plug the 360 audio into my line in on the soundcard, but that requires the PC to be turned on to get sound for the 360, I dont have this requirement for video, so I'd like to avoid it for audio.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  2. Caanon

Caanon OT Supporter

So it looks like what I'm looking for is a "mixer" but I need the simplest/cheapest one I can get, it doesn't have to do anything to volume/or other changes to sound. Also hopefully have 2 mini jack inputs and one mini output, any suggestions.

3. joetama

joetama New Member

You could look into a receiver or just a simple input switcher...

4. AzN1337c0d3r

AzN1337c0d3r New Member

What you're looking for is a switch.

5. joetama

joetama New Member

He could make a 'y' cable... But that isn't recommended...

6. Caanon

Caanon OT Supporter

7. joetama

joetama New Member

That isn't a bad box for 4 bucks...