Does the power of the video card affect its ability to play movies?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soren, May 22, 2006.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I'm about to purchase a new graphics card for the sole purpose of playing movies using a DVI input. My current card only supports VGA input and I'm using a 24" LCD.

With that said, does it matter what video card I purchase? I will not be playing games at all so I figure I'll get the cheapest and newest video card I can which as far as I can see it is the MX4000 from nVidia. Will it matter if I buy this video card over, let's say, an nVidia 6200, 6600 or 6600GT?

I rather not spend more money than I have to since my motherboard is an AGP version and therefore if I decide later to upgrade my motherboarrd to PCI-E, the video card will no longer be functioning.

On a side note, I'm also about to buy a 320gb Seagate HDD. I wanted to get the SATA 2 7200.10 version but apparently my mobo doesn't supprot it. Thus I have decided to buy the PATA 7200.10 for the same price. Is this a mistake? I believe my mobo supports SATA 1.0 but I don't want to go with WD since they have inherently less reliability (3yr vs 5yr warranty). The HDD will only be for storage of movies/video and will not be used for gaming or editing graphics. Will I notice any measurable difference?

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Any modern video will be just fine. You can get away with onboard video if your motherboard has it.

What motherboard do you have? And no you likely won't notice.

3. Kirby McSpic

Kirby McSpic New Member

Unless you got some real old-school shit, it should be fine.

4. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

My motherboard is K8N Neo2 MSI. I tried installing SATA 2.0 but it was incompatible. I hear it's because the EEC technology on the Seagate 7200.10 is not backwards compatble with older motherboards.

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

SATA-II is backwards compatible with SATA. Should work. Talk to Seagate to see if it's something they're doing that's new.

As for video cards, get the cheapest you want that supports the resolution you need.

6. JaJae

JaJae New Member

A lot of people have trouble with Seagate drives not being backwards compatible with their boards...

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I stick only to Asus, MSI, and Intel, myself. I've had some ECS, Abit, and DFI boards in for service, recently, and none have had issues running SATA-II drives, that I can tell.

What mobo do you have?

8. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

They have a new tecnology called ECC, I believe, that lowers the electo-magnetic interference in the HDD. I heard that is the cause for the incompatiblity with my board.

How would I know what video card has the capability to present 1920x1200?
    I am looking at the nVidia MX4000 and Radeon 9520 for $45 CAD

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Max Resolution: [email protected]