Does The Morning After Pill Really Work?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by mugen_princess, Feb 26, 2008.

1. mugen_princess

mugen_princess chika chika

Okay so Is the pill suppose to prevent from getting pregnant? Is it Really 100% ? Has anybody ever used it? does anyone know somebody who took it and still got pregnant?

2. Aronomy

Aronomy Get your COME ON!

It's effective if used correctly.

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Slow down, give us the details. Who is supposedly pregnant? Why do you assume they are pregnant? How long has it been since the sexual encounter that you think got them pregnant?

The morning after pill does not PREVENT pregnancy, it's not like a birth control pill. A woman can take it up to 72 hours after the act. I personally have never known a woman who had to take it and stillr emained pregnant. It's success rate is almost perfect.

:uh: Does no one read the sticky?

What is it?
    Emergency contraception (also known as the morning-after pill) is a high dosage of the birth control pill. It is recommended to be used after sexual intercourse, over a period of 72 hours, to achieve the goal of preventing (or ending) pregnancy. There are three different ways birth control pills are currently being promoted for this use: progesterone alone, estrogen alone, or both of these artificial steroids together.
    These are the same steroids found in the typical birth control pill.
    Where did this idea come from?
    The idea of emergency contraception—or a morning-after pill—is based on a theory. Under this theory, if a woman has sexual intercourse and fears she may be pregnant, she can take large doses of birth control pills. If in fact the woman is pregnant when she takes these birth control pills, the high dosage could act to kill her preborn child—a living human being. The only "emergency" in this case is the woman's fear of being pregnant.
    There are at least two formulations of the birth control pill that are being marketed as "emergency contraceptives." Also, double doses (or more) of existing birth control pills are also prescribed (or self- administered) as "emergency contraception." Though no testing has been done to confirm the safety of these large doses of birth control pills for women (and very limited testing has been done on the specifically marketed "morning-after" pills), the Food and Drug Administration has approved this use.
    How do emergency contraception/morning-after pills work?
    The emergency contraceptive/morning-after pill has three possible ways in which it can work (as does the regular birth control pill):
    1. Ovulation is inhibited, meaning the egg will not be released;
    2. The normal menstrual cycle is altered, delaying ovulation; or
    3. It can irritate the lining of the uterus so that if the first and second actions fail, and the woman does become pregnant, the human being created will die before he or she can actually attach to the lining of the uterus.
    In other words, if the third action occurs, her body rejects the living human embryo, and the child will die. This result is a chemical abortion. (Abortion is an act of direct killing that takes the life of a living preborn human being—a life that begins at fertilization.)
    Is it safe?
    Here are some of the side effects:
    • nausea
    • vomiting
    • infertility
    • breast tenderness
    • ectopic pregnancy (can be life threatening)
    • blood clot formation
    Emergency contraception also offers no protection against sexually transmitted diseases including AIDS.
    There are no long term studies to show whether women will be permanently damaged, or risk such diseases as cancer, from these chemicals being given in such high doses.

4. Caanon

Caanon OT Supporter

iwishyouwerebeer is a women so I would think she knows more about this than I would, but I'm pretty sure RU486 and the morning after pill are different things. From what i've heard the morning after pill is basically a high dosage of some type of regular birth control pill (it's a specific type, I don't know which one). I don't know the effectiveness but 80% pops in my head....that's why you should be non-retarded and get on normal birth control that is like 99% effective.

The morning after pill is for "oh shit" moments, not preplanned stuff.

5. iwishyouwerebeer

I'm terrified this is like a 17 year old clueless girl who thinks you can take Plan B as a birth control or something...

6. lauren

lauren Active Member

i hope so :mamoru: :x:

7. mugen_princess

mugen_princess chika chika

nope she is 22 but we were wondering how effective it really was ?Thats all

8. iwishyouwerebeer

It is effective enough. Did you two have sex without a condom and while she is not on birth control in the last 48 hours?

9. lauren

lauren Active Member

longer you sit and wonder, the less effective it becomes.

it's considerably more effective than nothing. :dunno:

10. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I'm finally getting your humor :mamoru:

11. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

My ex took it twice. It was taken to prevent becoming pregnant, but it does not work if you're already pregnant. The sooner you take it the better.

12. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

My ex took it once about 16 hours after the encounter. Condom broke and she wasn't on B/C. Worked great. She was sick for a day IIRC

13. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

Info in addition to what IWYWB has provided from the sticky....

http://ec.princeton.edu/questions/dose.html

The only reason I'm providing it as some people who can and will use the morning after pill currently and in time don't have access to Plan B, but have access to other BC pills that can be used JUST as effectively and safely.

My Heath Department prescribed me one on this list when I asked (when I went on the pill for normal use), and gave me an extra pack, JUST in case.

14. trano

trano Guest

the longer you wait to take the pill the changes decrease. it helps prevent it sperm getting into the egg? or something like that. if you are already pregnant i dont think this stops that.

15. illmaceyougood

illmaceyougood New Member

Yes they are, regardless of what some religious fundamentalists will tell you. RU-486 is the "abortion pill" which terminates a pregnancy, while the morning after pill simply prevents fertilization from occurring in the first place.

16. mavfan1

mavfan1 Active Member

yeah, and if you can't get the map, just take 3-4 bc pills right now

17. eskarinna

eskarinna New Member

intresting 4mo. ago planned parenthood charged me 36$ for it.

18. Mangina

Mangina New Member

Can you even tell if you're pregnant in the first 72 hours? I've never tried these pills, but it's not exactly easy getting a girl pregnant.

19. Mangina

Mangina New Member

Yeah. I'm not saying the pills don't work. But just because you have unprotected sex doesn't mean you're automatically pregnant.

20. iwishyouwerebeer

Once? Maybe not pregnant
    Numerous times without a condom and/or BC? Big chance.

21. lauren

lauren Active Member

so i took the pill yesterday, that means i can raw dog it for the next three nights, right? :boink:

22. fray

fray New Member

the point is why risk it. You could be pregnant, and by taking a few pills you can greatly reduce that risk. It's worth it because most women (who don't want children) would rather take a pill unnecessarily versus wait it out and end up pregnant when it's too late to easily do anything about it.

23. DC2

DC2 Member

Well, it sure wasn't easy getting my wife pregnant.... it took a few years and countless tries. (not that it wasn't fun tho).

Back to the main topic. My wife took these pills twice back when we were dating and when both of us knew little about sex or pregnancy or anything. The school nurse told her to take it just to be safe. I can't even tell you if it works or not. Both times she took it, she felt very sick the next day or 2 and her period came quick and ended quick (about 3 days).

24. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

How is that possible?? I realize its not proven, but sperm are microscopic, aside from feeling a guy cum inside you (which other than pulsations of the penis I'm under the impression most women dont feel any actual semen) how could you possibly tell youre pregnant right away?

25. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

yes, come over