does the HD need to be grounded?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BoostedBoogie, Jan 14, 2008.

1. or is it grounding through the power supply cable? for some reason my HD is not being detected. it's just resting here on top of my desk until i get a chance to take apart my entire computer to put it back in.

this HD was tested and working before i removed it btw. does it have to be grounded through the case chassis as well?

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've never had trouble with a hard drive not being grounded. i've had them hang off the side of the case and not touch and metal and still work fine

also, i'm pretty sure the power connection and ide/sata cable would have grounds

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it should be grounded for reliability. However, I bench test them all the time.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

They are grounded through the 40 EMF-absorbing ground wires in the connector cable, if nothing else. The amount of wattage those wires can handle isn't very much, but as long as you're not scuffing your sneakers against the carpet in the middle of the winter, you shouldn't kill anything.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

those 40 extra wires in a 80 conductor cable are NOT for grounding of the drive. They are there to reduce interference on the ribbon to facilitate high-speed transfer in excess of 33MB/sec.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The blacks on the power connector are your grounds.

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

did you check your jumper settings?

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

:rofl::rofl:

9. thanks for the advice guys.

dorkultra, i actually just found out one of the ide ports are not working. so i swapped the cables and its detected now. yeah i figured the ground wires in the power supply cable should've been enough already and didn't need to be touching the case chassis. i might've put the jumper in the wrong setting, so i guess i'll have to check for that. thanks

10. deusexaethera

They do, nonetheless, connect ground of the drive to the ground of whatever it's plugged into.

11. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Your entire computer is grounded through the Black 3 prong cable.

Your case serves several purposes, one of those purposes is to provide a way for static electricity to be grounded to the power supply witch will ground it through the black cable.

The hard drive is grounded through the molex plug in the back which grounds it to the power supply.

I seriously doubt the problem you are having is one of grounding.

without seeing what you have, here are some suggestions:

1. double and triple check the jumper settings on the drive (assuming it isn't SATA)
    2. check for ANY loose connections. Check the power plug at both the hard drive AND where it goes into the power supply. Check the cable at both ends.
    3. try different ports.

FWIW: I have run hard drives by having them sit on the case as you describe.
    ALWAYS be VERY careful when operating with your case open. STATIC electricity can destroy your compenents.
    In the winter time when you turn your heat on it dries out the air. Warm Dry air makes it much more likely youre body and surrounding objects are holding static electricty.

3 suggestions to keep you from destroying your stuff:

1. Work with a static strap.
    2. ALWAYS touch something metal, like a desk leg or a chair leg before touching your PC (especially with the case open)
    3. When working inside your PC turn OFF the power supply at the rocker switch but leave the black plug plugged into the power supply and the wall outlet. You can touch your case periodicaly to route static into the wall.

12. deusexaethera

I just keep one hand on the case at all times when I'm rooting around inside my system. It's not really static electricity that kills parts, it's static electricity that suddenly moves very fast through something not designed to handle it that kills parts. As long as you have the same static voltage as the case, you're not going to fry anything.

13. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

Only if its been a BAD BAD hard drive :mamoru:

p.s. no it should have a ground through the power supply

14. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

It sounds like he is talking about running is computer without the side on the case.
    This time of year that can get you in trouble.
    Hence the static electricity rant.