A&P Does the Digital Rebel suffer from the purple spots like the G series?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by KW802, Dec 30, 2003.

1. KW802

KW802 New Member

For the past few years I've been playing around with my Canon G1 but in 2004 I've been looking at an upgrade to the Canon Digital Rebel. One of the few annoyances with the G1 is the purple halo effect I get occassionally (like when the flash gets bounced off of chrome). My other annoyance is the shutter speed for action shots.

The questions is: Does the digital Rebel suffer from the same problems?

2. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

you mean chormatic abbarsion? not really, not even on the cheapo kit lens.

3. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

Sounds like you're talking about chromatic abberation or purple fringing.

It still occurs, but not to the extent in which it occurs in consumer level point-n-shoots (PnS). Consider the purple fringing problem in PnS as extremes, not the norm. It's REALLY bad in PnS. Here's what DPreview has to say about it: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page17.asp

As for the shutter speed problem, it should be significantly faster. According to DPreview, the A70 is 2.3 fps (3.2 MP) and the 300D is 2.5 fps. On the A70, you can get a faster response by lowering the settings (image output). DPreview states that the 300D is 2.5 fps for all image outputs. Doesn't make sense. Maybe someone else can clarify this issue.

Because speed is such a concern for sports photographers, that's why Nikon releases two professional dSLRs: D1H (2.75 MP) and the D1X (5.4 MP). While the D1X is a full on pro dSLR, the D1H makes compromises to get significantly more speed (5 fps).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2003
  4. Toogy

Toogy New Member

I don't think the shot to shot times are that important in general.

For example my G3 can take 2.5 fps SAME as the 300D in theory, but the response time is much slower on the G3, where it is almost instant on the 300D. On the 300D you press the shutter and it takes the shot instantly, whereas the G3 has a slight delay which makes shooting sports and fast action very difficult.

5. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

actually while your camera can take 2.5fps it cannot takes as many shots as the 300d in the same ammount of time due to smaller buffer and inability to read/write from the buffer.

6. Toogy

Toogy New Member

Are you sure about that? My father-in-law has the 300D and once you take 4 shots in a row it has to process the buffer which takes almost 15 seconds!!!

With my G3, I can take up to 15 shots before I get the busy sign on the LCD. Although the 300D seems to take those 4 shots VERY fast.

7. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

Yup I'm pretty sure, maybe your father in law has a slow CF card.