MIL Does the Airforce have combat units?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AlextheDroog, Jun 7, 2005.

1. AlextheDroog

AlextheDroog Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any ya

I always wondered if the AF had combat troops or is all just support crew for the pilots?

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

They also do security for nukes and stuff :dunno:

3. BlackHBDX

BlackHBDX The grey fixer

We have our Special Operations guys Pararescue and Combat Controllers. Then there's TACP, the guys that become part of an ARMY infantry unit to call in airstrikes. Here at Sembach where I'm stationed now we have the CRG (Contingency Responce Group). They're a bunch of security forces guys who special missions like the convoys in Iraq. A few of them have been to Ranger School.

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

A lot of Air Force jobs are combat related, but if you want to see the combat zone from the ground you need to check into one of the following.

Combat Controllers
    Combat Weather
    Pararescue Jumpers
    TAC-P
    Combat Communications
    Security Forces

5. Whoflungpoo

Whoflungpoo BlooRly!?

you laugh, but my shop chief has some tales from back in nam that would make your skin crawl.

I'd love to be in a combat com unit:wiggle:

6. brackac

Combat Weather > 90% of the Marine Corp.

Assigned to Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC), Combat Weathermen join forces with Combat Controllers and Pararescuemen to form highly trained Special Tactics teams.

A Special Tactics team frequently operates with Navy Seals, Army Rangers, and Special Forces in "direct action" (DA), airfield seizure, foreign internal defense (FID) and unconventional warfare, and personnel recovery missions in hostile territory.

Combat Weather Teams are organized, trained and equipped to provide meteorological and oceanographic intelligence information in and for the special operations theaters of conflict. Duties performed range from staff support to ground combat operations, which include tactical infiltration, observing, forecasting, training indigenous personnel to take limited observations, and mission tailoring of environmental information.

Combat Weathermen employ various infiltration/ex filtration methods to include: static line and military free-fall parachute, small boat or amphibious means, over land - mounted or dismounted, air land via fixed or rotary-wing aircraft, and airmobile procedures to include rappel, fast-rope, and rope ladder.

7. Lad

Lad Guest

You know what all thatmeans right?.... They get some semi-cool training and that is it.... Put combat in front of any name and you have someone that can see action.
    Heck in boot camp they do rappelling, fast roping, rope ladders, observation, tactical infiltration, observation.... So I laugh when you say them > 90% of the Marine Corps. Hell, everyone in the Marine Corps is a "DA" MOS. We arent big enough to afford people staying in "rhe rear". I cant believe you think the word combat in their tile makes them badass :bowrofl: Reminds me of COMBAT Camera.... They are "reporters". But even they are "DA" MOS. Even cooks in the Marine Corps are "DA" MOS'. :rofl:

8. Lad

Lad Guest

:werd:

9. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

Security Police

10. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

PJ's > *

/Thread

11. brackac

Are you serious? The Army also does everything you listed for basic also, so by your mentality the Army is equal to the Corp. Do you think that some "cool training" is enough to attatch you with Seals, Combat Controllers, and SF? They are trained to a level required by AFSOC and SOCOM. A training level that the Marine Corp failed to meet for years. The Corp tried over and over and over and over and over and over and over, and failed everytime until 2003. So go ahead and think that the Air Force doesn't have combat units and continue being just another stupid jarhead.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  12. AlextheDroog

AlextheDroog Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any ya

i guess my question was more directed at engaging in combat directly.

for example the marines and army have troops that "storm beaches" and spearhead attacks. The navy also have offensive combat units but other than security does the airforce have offensive combat units that spearhead attacks. I understand that they're trained for combat all soldiers have to be but does the USAF have a role or supposed to have a role in direct offensive combat operations?

13. brackac

Combat Controllers. They are first in and last out.

"Combat Controllers (CCT) are ground combat forces assigned to Special Tactics Squadrons within the Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC). The mission of a Combat Controller is to deploy by the most feasible means available into combat and non-permissive environments. Combat Controllers are Special Tactics Operators who establish assault zones, while simultaneously providing; Air Traffic Control, Fire Support and Command and Control communications in the joint arena. Functions include assault zone assessment and establishment; air traffic control; command and control communications; special operations terminal attack control; and removal of obstacles with demolitions. The CCTs provide a unique capability and deploy with joint air and ground forces in the execution of Direct Action, Counter-terrorism, Foreign Internal Defense, Humanitarian Assistance, Special Reconnaissance, Austere Airfield, and Combat Search and Rescue operations."

14. Private Pyle

Private Pyle Guest

Our RAF has the raf regiment, basically the raf's own infantry for base security, they did get to operate the rapier sam systems aswell but I think they are being withdrawn from service.

15. rb26dett

rb26dett New Member

I thought it was just cuz the Corps didn't want to surrender their elite units to SOCOM.

16. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

Brackac, I know when SOCOM was started in the 80s the Marines declined to be a part of it. They were invited. As far as I'm aware, it was an open invitation. The Marines wanted to maintain control over their troops and initially felt they didn't have enough troops to relinquish control of any of them. As far as Detachment One, I think the Marines finally figured that they could use some of the extra funding that joining SOCOM will provide, as well as the exposure being a member of SOCOM will provide.

Granted I'm no expert at all, I'd appreciate if you could post some links to information about the Marine Corps' failure to qualify for SOCOM since it declined membership at the groups inception.

edit (to keep my post count low)
    For instance, from http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/07/AR2005050700980_2.html
    "the sticking point is whether to compel the Marines to cede their specialized units to the Special Operations Command (SOCOM), something the fiercely self-reliant Corps -- unlike the Army, the Navy and the Air Force -- has long refused to do.

SOCOM was established in 1986 to end the practice of creating and using Special Forces on an ad hoc basis. The command today oversees the organizing, training and equipping of such highly skilled troops as the Army Rangers and Green Berets, the Navy SEALs and the Air Force AC-130 gunship fleet. The Marines, by contrast, have preferred to retain control of their specialized teams and lend them to SOCOM only as needed."

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  17. rb26dett

rb26dett New Member

:werd: thats what i thought as well

18. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

brackac, I get the feeling you don't care much for Marines (not just from comments in this thread). I could be wrong :confused:

19. brackac

Let me find the link that discusses how the Marine Corp tried on more than one occasion to qualify for SOCOM. It also goes through the process of how they selected the 85-man team, and how the Navy will be handling the training for the unit.

20. brackac

Marines are like Texans.

21. carpet muncher

which means what exactly?

22. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

They both think very highly of themselves. :dunno:

23. brackac

Exactly what does a person from Texas have to be proud of?

24. carpet muncher

I think you're just trolling to flare tempers :squint:

25. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

Did anyone find some links to articles about Marines not qualifying for SOCOM?