SRS does talking to someone help?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by QWIKSNK, Feb 1, 2008.

1. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

for those who have seen someone, does it help?

i finally made an appointment to see someone, but its not till the end of the month.

2. CxRxAxNxK

CxRxAxNxK New Member

of course....Be open and honest...Lay it out...These people do it for a living...some of them are fools but some are really great.

3. CxRxAxNxK

CxRxAxNxK New Member

By the way, what are we talking about? sPECIFICALLY?

4. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

thats what i plan on, im not going to hide anyting... if he can figures out whats going on in my head.... id let him milk my insurance for all its worth

5. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

probably just depression, but my aunt, who is a doctor thinks i may be bipolar... but i dont really want to think they are right

6. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

On Topic --> Asylum

You'll get the best answers to your questions here.

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Oh hell yeah.

But you have to have some sort of compatibility with the person.

Please bear this in mind. If you have a broken leg and a doctor with a terrible attitude, the doctors terrible attitude has very little difference on if your leg heals or not. Your attitude makes no difference. If the procedure is done correctly is the nuts and bolts of it.

This doesn't work like that.
    If your doctor doesn't understand you and you don't trust your doctor then therapy will be a waste of your time.

You will have a relationship with the doctor much like you have with any other person on this planet. Some people will rub you the right way and others won't.

If after 3 or 4 appointments you don't feel like the person has a clue, don't be afraid to go somewhere else.

Also, don't ditch the idea of therapy just because you and the doctor don't click. It is cool, it is normal..

8. Punky72

Punky72 New Member

I agree you have to find the right therapist for you.

I have been in therapy for many years now. It has helped me build myself into the person I am today. I probably would have went completely insane without it.

9. SixSecrets

SixSecrets New Member

Having face time is always a good thing, even if the guy/gal you are going to see is a dumbass, at least you'll get some entertainment value out of it. You may have to look around until you find someone who is a perfect "fit". It took me 35 years, let's hope it doesn't take you as long.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  10. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

not unless you in with the attitude that says: i want help

11. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

how do you find a good therapist?

12. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Yes, it helps. You're paying someone for an enormous amount of experience. They've worked with hundreds of clients (If they've done it awhile), and learned a great deal both from their education and that experience.

It's even better if you "choose" them, rather than just get referred, because then you have no one to blame but yourself if you feel like you're "wasting money and time, and paying someone for stupid shit."

I've heard patients bitch and moan so many times about this, as though they don't have a choice. They attack the therapist expecting the therapist to work for free, just because the therapist sits there and listens.

You're paying for an enormous amount of information, and you're getting an objective point of view from someone who isn't buried in your shit. They aren't your mom, dad, sister, girlfriend -- they aren't attached to you, so it's not biased by the same problem that often got your there. And on top of that they have no reason to betray you since you picked them.

That's what I think. I wish more patients had that opportunity to hear this.

13. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Over a period of like 10 years I would try a new therapist every couple years or so.
    They never really worked out.
    Finally when I turned 30 I hit bottom. I was at this point in my life where this depression was going to kill me.

So I made a list of all the therapists I had tried. I then made a list of all the things about them that I thought had rubbed me the wrong way, or rubbed me the wrong way. This was something I did for myself and shared with nobody so I could be very anti-pc.

As best as I could I used that list to find a therapist.

One of the smartest things I did in a decade. I found someone that worked out well for me.
    That was 5 years ago and I am still alive. I still see the same shrink.

--------

I think I kind of overreact to these kinds of threads. I feel like in my life that if I had done what I did at 30 years old when I was 20 years old my life would be drastically different.
    It's like I have this need to reach out and try to shake someone and say, 'For God's sake don't make the mistakes I made!'.

One of those mistakes was to go to a single shrink, have it not work out and take from the experience that this wasn't the correct thing for me.
    It was the correct thing. I just needed to work harder at finding someone that I clicked with.

14. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Researching online is a good idea. I usually write up a list of about 3-5 questions that matter most to me.

You can use your local yellow pages also and just pick names that are within a radius to your location. It's easy to find one if you just ask some basic questions and keep that paper with you. Usually they pick up their own phone. If they don't and some one else does, ask that person if you can speak to the counselor. If you can't ask the office staff those same questions.

Since you can weed through a lot of names and call a lot of people, you can record little notes about each one you call. Then you can narrow your list down to like 3 or so you liked via phone. Then you go see them. You might strike gold on the first. My method helps a lot of people because it puts them in control of their own choice.

Questions to ask:

1: Do you take my medical insurance? If no, how much per session?
    2: What therapy do you practice as your primary? (Family, Cognitive Behavioral, Psychoanalysis and what specific ailment (PTSD, Bi-Polar, Chronic Illness).
    3: How long have you been in practice, and could you help a patient like me? Explain to them your situation concisely.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  15. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I haven't read the posts after this, but my god man, don't let someone else tell you how you're feeling. I understand that she is a doctor and you are obviously going to see someone so it can't be a one time thought of suicide, but just be careful man. My genes are resting on a ticking time bomb, I wake up some days and wonder if I'll become a schizophrenic like my father. I struggled with depression all through my teens and it wasn't until within the past 1-3 years where I am finally what seems like through with it. I never went on any medication, and it may be ignorant, but i've seen what happens to the people that go on them. I remember not even recognizing my uncle when he was medicate, like he wasn't even there. Man made medicine scares the shit out of me.

Now don't listen to me though since it's probably going to be deemed bad advice, but what help me the most was talking. I am naturally a talkative person, and being able to express my true feelings to people I could trust helped a lot. My mom doesn't even know about my depression or thoughts of suicide, I'm going to keep it from her as long as she lives. She wouldn't think differently of me, but she'd try to blame herself.

What I'm trying to say is don't believe in all this bullshit, read shit for yourself, read the studies, trust me there is a lot on both sides to everything in medicine. Everyone is unique and different, but don't be told what you are, be who you are.

Edit: On a side note, I enjoyed my uncle a lot more before he went on medication. He always went on about conspiracies and such, but you know he was interested in it and he liked it, so it kinda pissed me off to think that we have to change the world around us to suit our views on "normal".

16. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I might add that it's important to find someone who has a theorical approach which you're comfortable with and also a person with whom you are just comfortable. These things (along with experience and formation) are the most important things.

Some people just don't respond to psychotherapy though, just like to some meds, some respond to both or none. Might be physiological, might be psychological, who knows.

17. SixSecrets

SixSecrets New Member

Shop around, referrals and once ina lifetime you come up lucky (imo).