does soft rubber between fan/drives and case reduce noise?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01000101, May 1, 2005.

1. 01000101

01000101 New Member

I found these soft rubber squares that fit around 80mm fans and one for the ps that were claimed to make the case quieter by reducing vibrations. My computer is still pretty damn loud. Someone smarter than me, does this make sense to you? Should I take them out when I start replacing fans and put in my new ps? What about soft rubber washers around the drive mounting screws?

Am I just playing with snake oil?

thanks

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it isolates a little bit. Not a whole lot, but a little. Don't buy them tho, just make them. Even a piece of felt is fine. Basically something to go between the metal and the plastic to act as a "cushion".

3. 01000101

01000101 New Member

nah, i was serious. i bought them over a year ago. ill just leave them in then. thanks jollyogre

4. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

haha someone has their mind stuck in a NYC sewage line...

5. turi

turi Guest

In some cases (no pun intended) most of the noise you hear is actually coming from the steel/aluminium surface vibrating along with the fans. In these cases rubber can work wonders. From the physics point of view, the rubber eats up the kinetic energy (vibration) and turns it into tiny amounts of heat. Same goes for hard drives suspended in rubber bands.

6. also helpful in reducing vibration: apply electrical component heat shrink to mounting screws. shrink, then mount. homemade rubber-coated screws.

7. 01000101

01000101 New Member

i took out my generic ps, i put in an antec neopower 480. its bad ass. i disabled one very loud fan. the ps is MUCH quieter. i gave the power supply control of 3 of the 80mm with its temp control, along with its 120. i also tightened a bunch of loose screws. VERY quiet now. only thing i can hear is a small white fan on the mobo.

8. ProFX

ProFX New Member

Yes.

9. perry

perry burp

The stock fan on my Antec Sonata was mounted with little rubber screw-type things to help reduce vibration. I added another 120mm fan to the front of the case and used little pieces of silicon that are designed for the nose bridges on eyeglasses to sit between the fan and the case. Then I used wireties to hold the fan to the case, instead of screws. Every little bit helps :x: The fan is connected to a fan controller and run at its lowest setting. I can still hear it, but it's not too bad.

Some folks that are going that last mile to get their computer as quiet as possible will suspend their hard drives using bungee cords or elastic, instead of actually mounting the drive to the case. I've seen pictures of setups that would make Macguyver proud ;) My Sonata just uses rubber washers which works for me.

10. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I had a case coverd in dynamat, and you could hear the rear fan a little bit, just because it was so fast you could hear the air move, and then when a CD was in the drive, you could hear it spin. I did it more for fun that to be practical, a friend had some extra dynamat sittin around.

Incase ya don't know what dynamat is, its a sound dampering piece of rubber type stuff, that you put in cars to reduce road noise, and increase bass response.

11. 01000101

01000101 New Member

i gots a window on mine, so wouldnt dynamat be kinda.. pointless?

i dont really need to change anything else, it doesnt sound like a fighter leaving a carrier anymore, so im good :bigthumb:

12. turi

turi Guest

Watch out there, pal, buying a 480W power supply and disabling the fan is kinda like disabling a building's fire alarm to save on energy. Do both and you're really screwed :ugh:

13. 01000101

01000101 New Member

i disabled a fan in the window, i still have 4 80mm running and theres a 120 in the ps. and according to maxpc, the ps runs at 380 *shrug*