SRS does sexual deprivation cause mental illness?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by black jesus, Nov 29, 2007.

1. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

seriously. I suddenly have some mental disorder and inability to attract women.

2. dano

dano OT Supporter

You may have a craving for it, it's natural, but you will not get a mental illness from lack of sex. Look at people who hold out for marriage; they may wait until way past their prime and still function just fine in the world.

I haven't had sex since September and it didn't even cross my mind until I was at the bar the other night dancing with some chick and said "Hmm, I could hit this." :rofl:

Now, the inability to attract women part, that could cause a mental disorder. Avoidant personality disorder, depression, anxiety, etc. If you're really focusing on trying to get women that much and it's not working, you may be trying too hard and need to ease up on yourself. Constantly receiving rejection doesn't help much in the spectrum of your mental health.

3. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

well, I've been laid once in 5 years, and single for 8. I've gone from trying to hard, to not trying at all, and everything in between. I think avoidant personality disorder is a real possibility.

4. triXx

triXx Im the crack being smoked by your dealer

ive been single for about 4 years and got laid for the first time in 2+ years 2 motnhs ago, i figured it would help my "mental health" didnt seem to work, still seem to fail everytime

5. dano

dano OT Supporter

If you can answer yes to doing 4 of the below then you may have it:
    1. Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact, because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection
    2. Is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked
    3. Shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed or rejected
    4. Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations
    5. Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy
    6. Views self as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others
    7. Is unusually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing
    It's not something to play around with either. It can become really debilitating if it's not addressed. Seek help if you really think you have it.

6. IsayHELLA

IsayHELLA CBS cares

wow, i answered yes to all of those. i wouldnt say its debilitating currently, but could be in the future. I need to get out more.

7. bimmer318

bimmer318 I'm out of applesauce

umm....... try masturbation?

It always helps me

8. dano

dano OT Supporter

Like to a psychologist. :wiggle: That's not good man. A little fear of rejection in social settings is normal, but to the extent that you match all of those as well, it's not something to take lightly.

It's better to get an evaluation and see if you're just taking things too hard or being overly critical of yourself. You may or may not have it.

I'm just a pysch minor, don't look at me to diagnose you. :o

9. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I answer a strong "yes" to each of those, the first one is not so much of an issue because I can manage it just fine.

I'm constantly concerned with a fear that I'm annoying or ugly, so people don't want me around, and anything that may suggest they want me gone is a welcome sign because then I know the social interaction is over, and its time to move on. Its pretty safe to say that at this point in my life my only real friend is my dog, I'm very unhappy with my body and people notice my undesirable physique when rejecting me, I've lost social skills, I've defeated any positive outcome from interaction before initiating, and I'm trying to teach myself to live in solitude without interacting with anyone.

I've been trying to line up any girl who will acknowledge my presence for a few months now for a trip to Napa in January...and I'm not being a blithering idiot about it. If I could find a god damn woman who could tolerate my presence for a week, she'd have a all expense paid trip to 4 vineyards, dinner at the best resturants in the nation, and my awesomeness for entertainment. I don't want to go alone, but I'm fucked.

10. borazhasleftthebuilding

borazhasleftthebuilding Lets Party OT Supporter

vicious circle...they feed off each other

11. IsayHELLA

IsayHELLA CBS cares

i finally went to a clinical psychologist to test for ADD. When I meet with the psychiatrist next month I'll ask about it. I've got a bunch of stuff that I want to go over with him/her.

Like you said though, I might just be overly critical of myself.

12. IsayHELLA

IsayHELLA CBS cares

Upon further review, I match strongly to 4 of the 7. The other 3 do happen to some extent but I wouldn't say have any bearing on my life. Still though, interesting stuff.

13. triXx

triXx Im the crack being smoked by your dealer

if i had the money id go to a shrink for that, answered yes to all of them, even tho i try not to do that it always seems to end u pthat way