Does salvage title really matter?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by drinkdran0, May 29, 2005.

1. drinkdran0

drinkdran0 New Member

I'm really considering getting a car that has a salvage title...

2. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

No resale value. But that won't really hurt if you're building something for competition or you're a very skilled mechanic. But if you're asking that's unlikely.

There's also the off chance that it's a theft rebuild where they take an intact car and glue in a wrecked car's VIN's to make it able to be sold. Car may work perfectly but they could impound the car if they find out.

These days they can make almost any wreck look whole again. This includes welding sections of multiple cars together to build a complete car, strapping it to frame machines to bend it back into line, and other drastic measures to get it back onto the road. The car could be poorly rebuilt, missing safety features (think airbags) or have other major problems that don't show up on the surface or in a test drive. At the same time, it could very well have been a theft that insurance paid out for but was recovered intact (some states reissue a non-salvage title for those...i'm not sure exactly which).

You could very well be buying something you're not ready for so generally a clean title is worth the extra money unless you know exactly happened to the car and you're sure the reconstruction was done correctly.

3. {WBK}Blood_Lust

{WBK}Blood_Lust New Member

with a salvage title you'd better be getting a great deal cause you won't be able to sell it too easily. Also banks don't like giving loans on salvage title vehicles and i think insurance is different probably can't get full coverage on it, but if you're just gonna buyit to run the hell out of it enjoy, just be sure you're paying way under book value cause it isn't worth shit with a salvage title and if somebody just patched the thing up good enough to make it look decent and if you don't know what to look for you might be buying a bunch of problems that you aren't ready for but if you're a greasemonkey and getting a good deal on the wreck then enjoy and don't listen to any of us lol

4. drinkdran0

drinkdran0 New Member

the seller said it was a fender problem... I saw the VIN for it as well. everything seems pretty minor. but then i ask, why are they still selling it? it's 2003 350z, $20,800

what do you think

5. {WBK}Blood_Lust

it had to be a hell of alot more than a fucking fender for an insurance company to total out the vehicle. I'd say the guy is full of shit and if he is hiding what really was messed up with the car i would RUN not walk away from that car deal, but that's just my opinion.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would NEVER buy a salvage title unless it was a 4x4 that I was already planning on doing some MAJOR work on, and was going to do nothing but offroad the living piss out of it and didn't care about it.

Since that's not likely to happen, I will likely never buy a salvage title. I recommend you do the same.

7. {WBK}Blood_Lust

Just don't do it unless it's like 1/2 blue book value it just isn't worth it unless youre getting a ridiculous deal which it doesn't sound like you are in this case, so nope

8. Nismotic

Nismotic Swat came into my house...disrespected my family..

after it gets into an accident, the car does NOT ever drive the same

9. drinkdran0

drinkdran0 New Member

what if i take it to a body shop and get it checked out and approved?

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

just walk away... you're asking for trouble.

11. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

not necesarilly i saw a 1993 civic that was totaled on the track i mean fn uglu but was rebuilt and everything was made stronger and according to the owner its even better than it was before the crash.

I actually plan to buy a totaled evo or something for a quick ass track car when i am able to i saw one for 11,995 the damage was from the fender to the rest of the front didnt look too extreme though.

http://www.hitcars.com/

theres some cheap ass cars, i actually would not buy one unless itd be a track only car, and f it was for the twisties id seriously think about it since theyd require mayor work and welding.

12. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

actually the damage on that evo was bad it requires a whole front end and the rear fenders but the interior and back i think is in good condition for 11000 dollars and id use it as a track car

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

um, it's a civic... it didn't drive well to begin with :greddy:

14. drinkdran0

drinkdran0 New Member

you can't say walk away from all of them. it depends on the situation.

15. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

A $11000 Evo that you only plan on using for the track is a bit different than a $21000 350Z that he plans on using for the street.

I've seen clean high mileage Z's go for less than 20k so it's hardly worth the risk. If there are missing airbags or any other major equipment, then you're screwed for repairs making it roadworthy. It's far less of an issue if you're gutting the car, caging it, and putting in harnesses versus hitting an empty steering wheel in a unibody that's been compromised before.

Building a track car means you're also more adept at solving any problems or replacing damaged parts rather than just trying to get a street car for a sweetheart deal.

16. drinkdran0

drinkdran0 New Member

actually i'm trying to bargain it to 15k because 21k is DEFINITELY a rip-off. im taking it to the shop to make sure its in healthy condition before even considering purchasing it.

17. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

spend a few more grand and just get a regular 350z.. 03's are low 20's

18. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

according to www.kbb.com - a 2003 350z, 45000 miles (av 15k/yr) in FAIR condition has a trade-in value of $12,000. And you want to give $15k for one with a salvage title? screw that. The ONLY way I buy salvage titles is at 1/2 of book - $6k in this case. And even then, its not to be used as an every day car. Have you run a CARFAX on the vehicle?

Then again, reading all theposts, you have everyone telling you to run away. But you seem to be blinded by this "good deal".

Like Ben Franklin said - "Never give advice. The wise don't need it, and the fools won't heed it."

19. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

Thats a trade in value, the private seller value is actually a bit higher plus alot of cars sell for well over kbb value.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ALWAYS work off of trade in. That's esentially what the vehicle is worth at auction... That is the true value. But this is a *SALVAGE* so it isn't even worth that!

No, it is NOT. This is a *SALVAGE* vehicle. There is NO blue book on a branded title. In the eyes of Kelly Blue Book, a *SALVAGE* vehicle has no value.

You are a dumbass. First of all, NO car, regardless of condition, should go for over book unless it is a SPECIAL car. This is NOT a special car. It is a *SALVAGE*. The seller has no choice but to get rid of it privately because a dealer will NOT touch a salvage vehicle. They could not even get book trade-in for it.

If you feel that you should go off of book, or that this vehicle is worth anything more than nothing, then you are a moron. You deserve every problem that you are about to get with this vehicle.

21. Nismotic

Nismotic Swat came into my house...disrespected my family..

Ding ding ding!!! :wavey:

22. {WBK}Blood_Lust

yep, look guy, you have about 10 people telling you to not even think about it and 0 people telling you it's a good deal but you still think it's a deal,,,,,,,,,uh,,,,,,,,,,ok i've been wrong plenty of times in my life but the fact that everyone is saying the same things over and over again should really tell you something, and the statement about the problem being a "fender problem" is hilarious, takes more than a damn "fender problem" to total a car. just move on bro

23. zyg0te

zyg0te I've made a huge mistake.

yeah, if he isnt even going to be honest with you, you're better off going elsewhere...

seems like ur gonna get it reguardless, so having it checked by a mechanic is good, they can put it on a lift and check for a lot of crap (mainly weld spots on frame, ect) but they cant find everything.