Does running the RCA's opposite the power wire in a car make THAT much difference

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Instantly, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Instantly

Instantly New Member

???

I had them run together in the mustang and it sounded great, although I'm using a much bigger power wire in the new car. And it sounds like complete shit. I moved the ground and I think it sounds even worse. :eek:

should I bother moving the RCA's to see if it sounds any better? and if anyone knows what a good spot to ground is in a WRX, not to mention where to hook up the remote wire, it'd be deeply appreciated.

I'm probably just going to take the stupid thing to circuit city and pay to have them sort it out :wtc:

2. 04

04 Guest

I wouldnt worry about moving the power and signal cables apart, I have never heard of any (or experienced any) decrease in noise by moving power cables around.

Don't you think a more plausible reason that it sounds much worse is the fact that you changed cars? The acoustics of the car will make a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference in the sound.

None of that will help sound quality unless you are having a problem with noise.

3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

are you getting alternator whine (engine noise) I have heard that this can be caused by the power wire and rca cables being ran down the same side.

4. Instantly

Instantly New Member

no, I made a bad boo boo when I plugged in the speaker wire. I had em crossed... yeah yeah I know Im a retard. I shoulda checked that first thing. :doh:

everything is all good now and the RCA's are run the same side as the power wire, but I did upgrade to a better brand of RCA. phew!

I had a tiny bit of engine noise but moved the ground and it seems to be good now. :)

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i ahve fixed wine by moving them but its not completly nessisary but tis a good idea

6. 04

04 Guest

The whine is caused by a difference in the potential of your grounds, NOT a magnetic field radiated by the power wire. I suppose it COULD happen, but Ive never heard of it happening... The power wire is pretty much completely a dc signal and the magnetic field it also creates does not have a alternating current to it, other than a VERY small one.

Thats why every time you hear someone complaining of alternator whine, people always say to first check your grounds.

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

the power cable can still induce current and the voltage out of yoru alternator is not perfect dc but like you said it would be small.

speaking of induced current we were inducing enough of a feild on to our solar car shell to light up a bank of leds and ti was measuring 50v ac even though there is no ac on the car we still have no idea where it came from possibly a trasfomer close to the car it was pretty cool though

makes me want to make a large tessla coil