Does painting cars make you go crazy?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by MartyFukstein, Jul 16, 2005.

1. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

I have an opportunity to work in the bumper repair business, fixing scratches in bumpers and painting them outdoors. The paints are toxic, and can cause lung and brain damage. Do the latest respirators (full face with charcoal filters) eliminate the risk, or will I still risk my health?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

:dunno: but your av is extremely scary to me. :eek4:

3. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Agreed..........No answer until the avy is replaced !!

4. Joetabasco

Joetabasco The Wing King

Agreed! There are paint masks out there by 3M that are specifically meant for paint use. they have some kind of fabric pre-filter and then replaceable carbon filters as well. I used one for years, but not until I have acquired the shakes from not wearing one. Most paints now are isocyanate based and the chemicals that help it cure attack your nervous system, and quickly. I can still keep a pretty steady hand but i shake more than i used to. These chemicals DO NOT work thier way out of your system, they are cumulative. That means they build up and dont go away, your stuck with them for life. Most good paint shops have positive air pressure hoots for the painters, they pump in air from a filtered air source OUTSIDE the booth, and some painters STILL wear a mask underneath the hood. Better to spend the bucks now on good equipment so you don't shake so much we can do thewash with you in the tub 20 years down the road.

$100-$1000 is well worth your health.. remember the easiest way for fumes and chemicals to get into your system is your EYES, make sure they are protected as well.

5. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

For what company? I own an Aero Colours franchise - is that the one?

If that is the business, or one similar, Here is what I can tell you. First off, since you are working outdoors, the risk is greatly reduced. You are not in a confinved area where you will be breathing the recirculated fumes all day long. Also, if you are using the Graco HVLP system, there is not much pressure to put out a big cloud of paint like there is with the other HVLP systems - that is why we chose those. Now, if I am painting several bumpers in a row, I still wear my mask. Since I get prety close to my work so I can watch the level of paint applied, I get some funes right in the face. If I am painting one or two, and they are pretty quick and easy, I often don't even wear the mask. I know I should, but I just don't, and have not had a problem.... yet.

If this is the franchise you are looking at workgin for, you will probably be doing more airbush work than HVLP. For that, there is absolutley no need to wear a respirator. THe biggest problem I hav had is just driving in my van. There are enough chemicals and solvents in there that have spilled or leaked that it is like driving a chemical refinery down the road. Open the windows whenever possible!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  6. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

it sucks that someone who does such an amazing job has to risk his/her health so another person drives a shiny car :( it's so unfair.

(I work at Nike, equally unfair :o )

7. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

you're a 12 year old kid chained to a machine?

8. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms OT Supporter

Wear a mask..a good 3M one designed for this use, indoors or out. You should be focused on your work, not your health when painting a car. Even while you are outside, you'll be exposed to a ton of that crap in the air...just not worth it. Besides, the 3M masks are pretty comfortable, and it also makes you impervious to your coworkers after-lunch effects.

9. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

27 year old male chained to a computer and a cellular phone :hs:

10. Joetabasco

Joetabasco The Wing King

yep, the 3M filters will even filter out farts!... while you may look like darth vader wearing one... they do the trick nicely, and i will second that they are very comfortable to wear. They do get hot though. I keep mine wiped down after each use and wipe it off as well along the seal with some talcum powder.