Does ONR work as well as any detailing spray?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by dealwithit, Mar 2, 2009.

1. dealwithit

dealwithit OT Supporter

I was told that if you use ONR with a claybar, it works as well as any detailing spray. Is there any truth to this?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Yes, it works very well as a detailing spray/clay lube. At wash strength, I can clay as I wash.

[y]AF1lSdpZYnk[/y]

3. dealwithit

dealwithit OT Supporter

Awesome, guess I'll use ONR next time.

Might as well ask my second question here too:

Can modeling clay be used as a substitute for a regular clay bar? I'm sure there are some differences between the 2 and I googled it and found that their were some differences but didn't get a clear response. Thought I should ask the pro's before I go out and get a new clay bar.

oh and how many cars is a standard soap-sized clay bar good for?

edit: 1 more thing, how long should I let wax sit for before i should wipe it off? I use Nu Finish wax and the directions say to apply and let dry to a haze then wipe. How long is that? A few minutes?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Seriously? Detailing clay is a patented product that is specifically designed for automotive use. No telling what modeling clay might or might not do. Considering it costs $3000+ to properly repaint a car, you don't want to cheap out on maintaining the finish. The number of times a clay bar can be used depends on the contamination you are removing and how severe it is. I've seen a car trash a clay bar and other times I've been able to use the same bar on 10-15 cars.

Apply and remove wax per manufacturer's directions. If it says to remove when it hazes, you should be able to tell because it will look dry.

BTW, look through the product list and detailing EDU, there are a lot of products a lot better than NuFinish.

5. dealwithit

dealwithit OT Supporter

I wasn't really gonna buy modeling clay and use that, I just wanted to know :rofl:. I'm pretty new to the detailing scene, I've had the Nu Finish for over a year now, might as well finish it :dunno:

Thanks for the info :bigthumb:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009