Does online dating really work?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Hyudra, May 25, 2006.

1. Hyudra

Hyudra New Member

Has anyone met someone from the internet and had a awesome relationship? It seems pretty similar to just meeting anyone anywhere, like a bar..., but it's the internet...

And online dating meaning like initially meeting someone from like craigslist, myspace, a forum... not so much paid dating.

Anyone have any input?

2. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

Many people on the INternet have something to hide or maybe Ive just been watching too much House ;) heh. i haven't had awesome relationships from going online but I know some people who have met, gottten to know each other, and been in long relationships or gotten married. It's possible to have an awesome relationship but there has to be trust, transparancy,and a background check if possible. heh

3. Rotate

Rotate New Member

I met my girlfriend through a photography blog and we've been dating for almost 2 years. We talked for a few months online and then met up (neither had romantic intentions) to take pictures around town and the rest is history.

I don't know about dating sites though.

In a way its better to meet people in that type of environment because you are seeing more of their mental personality and not some bullshit bar/party attitude. I think if you talk to someone for extended periods of time you can really get to know and like a person without ever seeing them.

4. darkrick

darkrick New Member

Has worked for me in the past.

5. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

i get fuck buddies off the internets ... i still dont have any diseases ... :noes:

6. Mikey

Mikey This one, this form I hold now, so Wide eyed and h

i met my wife on aol in '99. she was 15 and I was 18 and we started chatting. in 2000 we met and have been together since :bigthumb:

7. MP525i

MP525i New Member

i know you don't care so much about the paid sites... but i met my g/f on match.com. we've been dating for 2 years and plans of marriage are in sight. :)

8. krondo

krondo New Member

my parents met over online card games aka Spades. My step-dad married my mom about 5 years ago, they dated for 3 years previous to that. So i'm gonna say it works. No they did not have to pay to play cards on the internet.

9. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I wouldn't put much stock in the online dating services, but just meeting people in general? Certainly. It's no different than talking to someone in a bar, or at a social event, or whatever.

Even the online dating services aren't that bad, I suppose, but too much flat out lying occurs on them.

10. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

It doesnt matter how you meet someone, the internet just gives people a way to meet someone they may have previously never had the chance too. How you meet doesnt determine the relationship.

11. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

While true it can be quite sketchy it's not that bad.. like RedVsBlue said, it doesnt matter how you meet them.. it might make things a little different for a little while but not much.

I'd say I prefer meeting people online, party because of peoples shallowness... not because I have anything to hide. I have great fun going to clubs/bars talking with people ect..

I'm a rather short fellow around 5'5.. and alot of people just turn their backs sometimes. It's annoying it doesnt bother me anymore.

Basically meeting people for me over the internet eliminates most shallowness in people. you get to know the real them normally and not someone they are pretending to be.. if you're a GIRL be very careful and watch yourself.. If you're a guy just dont pretend to be someone your not and dont hide stuff. They will find out. In the end relationships will end the same weather breakup or marriage.....

my input~

Edit: out of the coolest people I've met and the two I've dated.. neither was when I clicked meet or was looking for a girlfriend, I dont message people on the sites I use ( none are paid for or specifically ONLY for dating ). I simply use it as a tool for people to talk to me if they want to.

12. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

I've met two people online and was with them for a bout 1.5 and almost 2 years, yeah sure it works; as in... you can meet people, another form of communication, but you won't have the beauty of flirt as you do when you meet somewhere in the 'non virtual world' to the same degree

13. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

this may have been said before, but you also need to realize that most people's online personalities differ from how they act in person.

14. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I've had reasonable success. I was talking to a friend of mine about people we have met off of Myspace of Facebook. I counted and I have met almost 30 girls between the two. I agree that you completely have to be yourself and not hide anything. I'm always taking pictures of myself so they can see as most recent picture as possible. I rarely say anything about meeting. Always wait for her to do it. Sometimes I'll drop a hint like "oh I was out your way today" or "I passed by your town on my way home". That works like a charm to get that initial meet going. Now I get to stop and see this hottie next time I'm on my way home.

15. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

werd.. play cards with caution!! I got myself into a load of mess for a few months because of that..

16. Eris

Eris Yes please

It's most definitely possible. My ex and I met on AOL back in 98 and were together for nearly 6 years.

17. mahnamahna

mahnamahna Guest

one of my best friends i met on the net

18. pirate_drunk

pirate_drunk New Member

AWWWWW

19. IreLynx

IreLynx New Member

I would say that meeting people outside of dating sites seems to work better most often. I only say this because generally dating sites don't allow you to communicate all that well through them. I prefer IM's, forums, and social activities when it comes to meeting people onlne. It's easier to stay in touch & get to know one another through those methods.

I met my fiance on ICQ a little over 5yrs ago, and we'll have been together for 5yrs next month. We initially met online, started talking due to my friend lying about a photo, and then after about a month we got together in person at a small party. From that point we started hanging out frequently in person.

I've also met plenty of people online who have become friends, and some who have turned into good friends. We try to get together whenever possible, even though some are 2-5hrs away. The one forum I'm a part of holds a yearly event, which most of us go to, and so it's a chance for us all to spend time together.

From my experience, some people are completely different offline, while others are fairly close to the same as they are online. I've met people who had the "e-penis" syndrome, but in person they were more reserved and fun to be around...whereas online (before ever meeting them in person) you wanted to punch them. You'll meet all types of people, and unless you are very good at reading people online, you'll have a hard time telling if they're different offline.