MIL does OCS pay?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jehan60188, Jul 4, 2009.

1. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

I really want to be a ship's captain (especially now after the North Korean launch today), and I think Navy OCS is my best option, however I have certain financial obligations that I must continue to fulfill (pay off LOTS of stupid debt) during that time.

so I need to know if I can keep taking in a paycheck, or if I need to save up money, and pay if off through savings until I take in a paycheck

thanks!

edit: just googled it: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080611114403AAjUntU
    seems like i'll make (more than) enough to be able to fulfill my financial obligations (under the assumption that i'm provided with food/shelter during OCS)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  2. kazimer

kazimer New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Palm Centro: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

this speaks for army ocs and I am sure its almost identical in the other services.

you are provided with everything you need. tricare, food, shelter and pay. army ocs pays candidates at the grade of E5. also with the student loan changes..you can defer until you commission and after 10 years of military service, your loan debt will be forgiven on any remaining balances. this is effective oct 2007

3. Zee

Zee New Member

E-4 Pay I think until graduation at least for AF:dunno:

4. Ninja

Ninja OT Supporter

http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourcesContent/0,13964,44245--,00.html

All officers (non prior service) with student loans are eligible for SLRP. However, you must give up the GI bill to get it. Pays up to $65,000 in student loans over the course of your contract.

I just signed a contract/swore in with the Army on Wednesday to attend OCS. Will be receiving E5 pay throughout OCS. The Army pays 1/3 of your student loans each year, so that at the end of your 3 year active contract, the student loans are paid off.

AF is also E-5 pay.
    http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/BOT/Financialinfo.asp

edit- after searching, all branches pay E-5 for OCS/OTS

5. Zee

Zee New Member

They must have raised it to help out the poor college students

6. Mr. Monopoly

Mr. Monopoly OT Supporter

If it's like AF OTS, it pays once you're there, but you might have a pretty sizeable investment up front. Mine is around 2 grand for uniforms, supplies, etc. That's 2000 reasons to make sure you don't fail when you get there though. :hs:

7. Bounty15

Bounty15 OT Supporter

Going to take you a good 15-20 years before you get your own ship though... and it's not like you'll be able to go around sinking any North Korean ships you see...

Also, try not to default on any loans or anything... it can create serious problems for any career you might be interested in.

8. kazimer

kazimer New Member

9. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

i did the research, and decided I'm ready to commit to 4 years; if I like the lifestyle, I'll commit through to getting a ship of my own

and haha, yah i don't plan on attacking north korean ships any time soon, I just want to help in dealing with their aggression