does my recent routine lead to a catabolic state?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ohgod123, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohgod123

ohgod123 OT Supporter

my goal is to get that lean/six pack look for now. but i'm worried that i might be pushing it too hard. typically i'm at the gym for 1.5-2 hrs with this routine. does this workout work for blasting fat? I'm 5'8 146(low weight i know) but I still have a layer of fat covering my stomach..but theres a 2 pack with some shadings of a 4 pack. what i don't want is my body going into a catabolic state.

here's my routine for the last 3-4 weeks:

bb squats:
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    185 x 5
    185 x 5
    195 x 5

bb deadlifts:
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    205 x 5
    225 x 5
    235 x 3

bb bent over rows:
    95 x 10
    115 x 10
    115 x 10
    115 x 10

bb 21s:
    45 x 21
    45 x 21
    45 x 21
    45 x 21

db incline bench:
    70s x 5
    70s x 5
    70s x 5
    70s x 5
    70s x 5

reaching crunches on exercise ball:
    3 sets of 20(hold 3 sec each)

hanging leg raises:
    2 sets of 15

exercise ball planks:
    3 sets for 60 sec each

burpees:
    10 squats 10 pushups( 25 explosive) 10 jumps

elliptical HIIT:
    372 calories 3.16 miles 30 min

2. thespazz

thespazz New Member

3. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

You asked if you are "catabolic" without posting your diet???

fucking newbs

4. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Active Member

I would focus more on how your body feels and possibly your diet then some term you just pulled out of your ass.

Ok, so you've been doing this for the past 3-4 weeks.

too much training:
    How often? Once a week? Every day? What order are you doing this stuff in? I'm hoping you aren't doing the exact same shit in the exact same order every single time you go to the gym? 1 day of possibly over training is going to be different then consitantly over training, and what is and isn't over training depends greatly on the frequency. If you were doing this once a week it'd be too little, if you were doing it every single morning and evening it'd be too much. :dunno:

lack of rest:
    How much rest are you getting? Are you getting a consistent 7-8 hours every night? If not then it's not really going to fucking matter what you're doing at the gym now is it?

lack of good nutrition:
    How well are you eating? Can you even accurately gauge how well you're eating consistently or does it fluctuate between extremes like most people? I'd bet that for the moment you could get better results from fixing your diet then fixing your lifting.

Now that all that is out of the way, lets get down to it.

Up your reps and weight. There's no reason you should be at the gym for 2 hours doing a total of 5 exercises with some cardio type stuff, you're switching weights more then you are doing reps.

There is 1 thing that works for fat. Calories in < Calories out.

I have no idea what a good weight for you would be as I'm 6'1", but there is a point where you'll get more definition from gaining muscle then loosing fat. Since you seem to be a low weight you might want to focus more on this, esp. since you can't target where fat loss occurs but you can focus / skew your lifts.

You haven't provided nearly enough info to determine this, but I'd say no it's not close.

You don't seem to ever be going to failure, except deads where you're also starting off with nearly 1/2 the weight you should be. I'd also hop off the elliptical and do some real running. Also, you need to be switching stuff up, it won't really have affected anything yet, since you've only been at it for a month, but don't do the same shit every single time you go in. Make sure to actually do lifts with your legs, idk why everyone starting out thinks they can skip legs perhaps they were taught by someone in a wheelchair? You're definitely missing some other stuff from your lifts too, but instead of trying to fix your routine when I can barely manage mine I'll just point you to 5/3/1 or anything else that has already been poured over by people that know their shit and debated ad nauseum.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  5. heebler elf

heebler elf Guest

you dont have any muscle to lose at 146

6. Reign

Reign Banned

Do you do THAT specific workout 4 times a week? I work out each muscle group once a week, granted I kill it, and the areas I want to see better results (legs mostly) I do twice a week. Always 3+ days of rest in between.

And you should know, or find out, abs are built in the kitchen. Not in the gym. Unless you're a lucky bitch freak of nature.

7. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

If you do that routine 3-4 times per week (every other day), I don't think that's too bad. Though you could reverse the order around every other workout or every other week. Do less barbell curls, maybe even replace them altogether with chin ups. Maybe do the squats first, deads, rows, inclines then chins. Depending on your weak bodyparts development wise. Do less abs too.

8. ohgod123

ohgod123 OT Supporter

in terms of my diet, i usually hover around 2k calories a day...aiming for a 30% fat/30% carb/40% protein split...though realistically im hitting 40% fat/35% carb/25% protein

timberwolf: yeah i do this workout 3-4 times a week and i usually start in this order: squats, deads, rows, 21s, shrugs, inclines, hiit, core/abs. i'll definitely replace some workouts every week starting now i think -- thanks for that.

heebler elf: k i guess i dont have any muscle at 146.

SomethingWicked: I do feel exhausted sometimes after doing this...I probably get around 6 hours of sleep and I guess the workday really drains me.

9. eljefedetonto

eljefedetonto OT Supporter

fuck, I know I'm still not getting enough sleep

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.