Does Marriage benefit men at all?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by skitcy, Jul 6, 2007.

1. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

I was recently reading some articles and talking to someone at work. And both displayed a very good point that marriage does nearly nothing for men while nearly everything for women.

1. Gives women stability
    2. Gives women protection / secuirty
    3. Gives women financial security, if you get a divorce they will get a nice cut regardless how much they actually invested
    What do mean truly get out of marriage these days? We get tax breaks ( oo ahh ). I mean obviously it's a commitment but at some point I know women who have abused marriage simply to profit ( I know a women who is 32 and remarried 4 times now and divorced each within 6 months and taken the full extent of her 50% as possible ).

Is it getting to a do where we can't even trust women to allow them to benefit from marrying us? Perhaps the best solution is just to avoid marriage all together, but then most states even consider you common law married after 5 years of living together and if you dump her she can file to get a cut of your mortgage or income for awhile.

What are anyone else's thoughts?

2. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

I don't really understand this thread. Doesn't marriage offer stability, protection/security, and financial stability to men also? Or is this based on a 1950s mentality that all men are the higher bread winners, and that all women just seek someone to provide and protect them? I'd say that marriage, at least in my mind, would provide the same things for my husband as for myself. But mainly, I'd say that the companionship and support would be value to both in the relationship.

3. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

Not even a little bit.

4. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

Isn't it possible that different people get different things from relationships because they have different kinds of relationship? I don't think marriage is the same for any two couple so to say that men don't get anything out it based on a few people's experiences doesn't really seem fair. If men really don't get anything out it, why haven't they figured it out and quit getting married? I know countless couples where both are benefiting.

5. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

I'm almost frightened to hear the responses that people will give for that...

6. How doesn't a woman benefit from a marriage?

7. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

A man can get everything he wants from a relationship without the legally binding contract.

8. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

You get to have a honeymoon? I don't ever plan to get married.

9. Rich

Rich New Member

10. julia!

julia! New Member

It's a sad thing to think of a mrriage as a fucking business contract. How about men gain from marriage what is was meant for. Being married to the woman they love and sharing a bond. I know, I know..thats far fetched and a story book life right? Come on.

And women gain nothing more than men do. Get your head out of your asses. Women support themselves just fine.

11. lauren

lauren Active Member

12. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Wow, you sound bitter as fuck. If you dont want to get married that is fine and your choice, but to act like men only gain a consistent piece of asshole for life or something is ridiculous and incorrect. But thats just my opinion :dunno:

13. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

14. lauren

lauren Active Member

yeh, i know. but the list is the same, and i figured it would be more creditable than gay rights or religious sites.

as i've said before, the majority of them are geared towards later in life. don't see any tangible benefit to getting married early. i have some personal ones, but meh.

15. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

16. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

marriage is seldom "for life" any more

17. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

The kids? And alimony?

18. Ferrari430

Ferrari430 New Member

Marriage is an option, a choice..It is a commitment..Why would men get married if it didn't benifit them? Is it because society tells us to do so? Bloor your married, your telling me that you gained NOTHING out of your marriage? What about stronger bond, more trust, all those other values..Viper you ask what a woman gets out of a marriage? I don't think one sex gets more than the other, it's sorta neutral. Instead of having two seperate lives, don't they become one and all that crap? Also no one mentioned kids..Yea you could have kids without being married, but being a family with all the same name and i dunno i could go on but really, in the end it comes down to this: Marriage benifits those who want it, male or female.

19. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

picard.jpg
    How the fuck is that even funny? Yes, I do everything for myself in life. It's called fucking responsibility. I don't need some chick to do my fucking dishes, and it's insulting that you imply that.
    Women want kids much more than men, and often have to convince the man to have a kid. Then when the marriage ends, the chick gets the kid, and the man has to pay tons of money.

BUT THATS DIVORCE NOT MARRIAGE!12!1!11ELEVEN

Yeah, but most marriages end in divorce genius.
    Last I heard the divorce chance for a couple marrying today is like 70%.

20. lauren

lauren Active Member

seldom is a strong word, considering more than half of marriages last (right now, 30% of first time marriages fail, peaked in the '80s to almost 40%).

21. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

22. Ferrari430

Ferrari430 New Member

Viper read my post. I addressed part of your question

23. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

What in the FUCK are you babbeling about? I work fulltime, go to school, and spend 5 hours a day pursuing my dream career. I do everything in life for myself, and I spend extensive time trying to improve myself. At current, besides physical appearance, I'm pretty much the perfect boyfriend, I have 2 women that practically fucking stalk me trying to get me to date them.

I do what I can to improve myself every second of every fucking day and no one else is needed to do that, why are you acting like I'm some chickenshit who just insults everyone all day?
    50%

24. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

Not really, because they're true. Most of my problems with 'women' are problems I have with dating, and problems with stupid fucking people in general. Again, I don't have to deal with those problems from men because I don't date men. The very few things I find wrong with women that I don't find wrong with men are counterbalanced by the things I find wrong with men that I don't find wrong with women.

25. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

You think I was still talking about child support...?