Does long distance running slow your metabolism?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Limp_Brisket, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

I figure it would since you're burning so much LBM and since your body would adapt to running so far by slowing your metabolism so that you have energy even after a long distance.

My friend is convinced he is going to get ripped if he just runs, ALOT (like half-marathons and such). And I'm trying to convince him that it's probably detrimental to his goals of getting ripped. He's already skinny, which means he obviously needs to add some lean body mass which isn't going to happen eating the way he is and running so much, right?

I'm trying to turn him on to HIIT like me :)

2. cura

cura New Member

He'll lose BF and alot of muscle, likely....

3. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

exactly, he'll turn skinny fat. we were talking about it yesterday and he's like "look at those guys that run marathons and stuff!" and i was like "ya, look at them.." :ugh:

I have nothing against long-distance running, most of my family is long-distance runners besides me.

4. shawn4element

shawn4element OT Supporter

Just quit being a pussy and run

5. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Sprinting > Running

6. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Your friend is probably thinking about runners as in olympic sprinters. Yeah, they are in sicknasty shape because of flawless dieting, incredible training (including a lot of weight training), as well as a pretty good natural disposition to be atheletic.

Ask him how running will give him strong arms and back?

7. methusala

methusala New Member

Exactly. The difference in physique between sprinters and long distance runners is day and night. Sometimes I wonder if the sprinters are a little bit too bulky for their own good -- their upper bodies are always very well developed as well.

8. jessb20hatch

jessb20hatch Let's bang like Myosin & Actin

net metabolism yes if he loses weight....metabolism in a cellular level no....and he wont become skinny fat unless his nutrition sucks

9. lil*o*g

lil*o*g If it wasn't for repost, I'd miss out. And, most t

I've done several half marathons and have been able to stay lean and fit. I supplement all of my running w/a weight lifting routine and I eat relatively well.

In terms of losing muscle, my legs definitely aren't built like a sprinters legs would be and I work my chest out a bit harder b/c apparently, running retards the work done on your chest.

If I remember, when I get home, I'll post up a pic of me after a 1/2 marathon I did 2 years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.