Does it hurt the paint/finish to polish every 2-3 months w/PC?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Intel, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Intel

Intel Guest

I read on autopia that everytime you use the PC to correct swirls, etc. You are taking the bad part of the paint away by kinda scrapping a very thin layer of paint.

Is this true or myth?

2. cracka.

cracka. Guest

your taking off a very tiny layer of clearcoat... you dont want to buff to often, or you wont have any clearcoat left... right?

3. TheKrazyRaven

TheKrazyRaven New Member

2-3 months isnt that a bit overkill?

i do my car once a year after winter kicks its ass

4. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

If you need to buff every 2 months, you probably should look at refining your wash and drying technique to remove the process that is putting the swirls into your paint. That's a whole lot easier than buffing.

5. Intel

Intel Guest

Hmm, actually my car is brand new.

I was just wondering if I should keep myself at bay with detailing my car, as if I could I would do it every 2-3 months.

But since it ruins the paint in the end, I guess it will have to be once a year.

PS This happens when you do it by hand too?

6. Intel

Intel Guest

So if I have a PC, ONLY polishing will scrape some thin layer of paint or even waxing it (Megs NXT 2.0) will take some paint off?

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

It depends on how aggressively you are polishing. If you compound every 2-3 months, that is excessive. If you are using a lighter polish, you should be fine. I machine polished my 626 POS version 3-4 times a year each of the 3 years I owned it (really soft paint, marred easily) and there was no sign of the clear coat thinning.

8. Intel

Intel Guest

Thanks Scott.

Now, on waxes. Can I freely apply liquid wax as many times as I want without thinking that I will ruin my clearcoat?

9. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'd recommend a full 24 hours and wash in between each coats, otherwise no problems. Several coats of wax will have pretty excellent depth, not sure how much added durability you get though.

10. Intel

Intel Guest

Perfect, so only POLISHING and the type of pad used for polish is the one that scrape a little bit of clearcoat.

Otherwise waxing is clearcoat safe (with a different pad), I am right? (you kinda implied your answer, just making sure :x: )

Thanks

11. uwofrost

uwofrost New Denver Crew

Just my $.02... i wax my baby about ever 6 weeks in the summer. i do a full detail on it the first warm weekend in the spring to get it back to the way i like it. I use a good carnauba wax and only use micro fiber to wipe it clean.