SRS Does it bother anyone that they don't benefit society at all?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HalfPastGone, Feb 9, 2008.

1. HalfPastGone

HalfPastGone OT Supporter

I have a regular job in the financial services industry and will be able to make good money in the future (I'm 22). But sometimes I think to myself, why don't I just join the Coast Guard or something and save someones life and not worry about how much money I make.

Anyone like this? Anyone have a job where they feel truly fulfilled and know they are helping people? :hsd:

2. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

it bothers me more that bums and welfare junkies dont benefit society.

what you are doing helps, it helps people buidl wealth, every job isnt needed by all, but if you are helping some, you are helping.

and helping people save for retirement is an honorable profession

3. HalfPastGone

HalfPastGone OT Supporter

true, it just seems so mundane.

4. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I've done a lot of volunteering and love it. Thinking about joining the peace corps soon

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Help can take many forms....some are based on financial, some are based on time, and yet others are based on items such as food/clothing.

It doesn't have to be an either/or job. Just because you work in a financial job where you are crunching numbers all day doesn't mean you can't help people. What about volunteering your time at a local youth organization? What about a local charity?? What about sending money to help feed and clothe the homeless?? What about helping your friends/family through a difficult time?

What annoys me most about celebrity help reaching out to foreign countries, is that it gives a very strong message that unless one travels overseas or long distances that they aren't helping. You know....everyone has a part to play and I would like to see more celebrities help people right here in our country.

Don't think that just because you aren't driving a coast guard cutter that you can't help people. You can....you just have to let go of the idealized version of helping people that you have built up in your mind and get more practical.....or.....stop talking and apply to the coast guard.

6. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

This feeling is going to follow you until you do what you're passionate about. Follow what moves you else you'll wake up each day living a life that was meant for someone else.

There is a song I like, it tells a story similar to what you're facing. See, if you choose money and things over what really matters to you, you lose. See, for you, you chose what you're doing not because it's "honorable" or even meaningful, but because you knew you could get paid and become someone because you got paid, but what's the point in getting paid, and driving the company car when you realize that it wasn't what you were really looking for?

If you're fortunate and ambitious, you can get paid doing what you love, then you'll be someone.

The funny part about this song is my name is Mike too.

Here is a link to it. Title: Company Car by Switchfoot

Lyrics:

Mike, was right,
    When he said I'd put up a fight to be someone,
    A fight to be me but see now,
    I'm down,
    Under the pavement of capital hills,
    And lowercase people
    As time rolls by my dreams have become,
    That which is attainable
    Not what I'm looking for

I've got the company car,
    I'm the one swingin' at 2 below par,
    Yeah I've become one with the ones that I never believed in,
    I've got the company car...

Hey, I'm the king,
    Of things,
    I've always dispised
    I'm the gingerbread man thats been eaten alive
    I'm half baked,
    I'm fake,
    Ya see I've got hotels on Park Place and Boardwalk and 200 bucks
    I pass go, but oh, life's taken it's toll
    Have I won Monopoly, to forfit my soul but see

Yah all the kings horses have their hooves on the walls,
    Thier takin' pictures of the man whos lost all of his
    Masks of pretension,
    Hes got 2 faces left,
    His is the one that he hides,
    On the left.. behind that smile..

Hiding tears,
    And fear,
    That burns like an engine,
    That drives him away from the ones that he loves
    Mike was right, hey Mike, we're one and the same, we're the faceless combantants in the lonliest game..
    Oh but say,
    I'll wave as I'm drivin by,
    With that smirk in my eye
    Yellin hey, I'm something man, check me out

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

If you'd become a doctor you could be making good money + helping people. Hit 2 flies in one smack.

8. doggystylin

doggystylin New Member

Doctors don't really make good money, I'd rather be successful doing something I enjoy and then spending some of my free time helping society with volunteer work or something along those lines.

9. mrchina

mrchina Guest

Do you have any interest in getting your EMT license and volunteering at an ambulance corp? Or volunteering at a fire department as an exterior fire fighter doing outside work, hitting hydrants?

What about doing big brother/big sister program?

There's lots of stuff you can do while still being a businessmen.

10. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I like my job as an analyst for FEMA. I don't touch people daily, but I work on programs that help keep people safe from natural hazards...and that makes me feel good at night. If that weren't the case, then would have already moved on to something else, working for shareholders and yacht owners.

11. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

I really enjoy helping people and I have often thought about getting on with the local police department, or maybe even being an EMT/Paramedic. I've also thought about getting into Psychology. I enjoy helping people out with their problems, but one thing that stops me is sometimes my advice that's good for others I tend to not take for myself.

12. Matrix0507

Matrix0507 New Member

It is funny you mention this. I work with databases for an Alumni Book publishing company. We literally work with schools/universities/organizations and format/manipulate their data to update their databases and produce directories for them to purchase...I make decent money in this position. it is freaky you mention the Coast Guard because my fiancee (female) is an officer in it. She makes about the same money as I do but I feel as if her job is infinitely more rewarding. lol, though, ironically, she will visit me in the office in my cube and wish she did what I do all day. Maybe it is just a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

13. SteveYoungblood

SteveYoungblood New Member

I agree with this to an extent. However, I think it's important to tack on some clarifications. A lot of times, that seems to be the advice -- do something you love. Play for the love of the game. However, even if that's why you got into the game, once the weeks, months, and years start to pile on, I can't help but think that the mundaneness of work will begin to pile on. Call me cynical, but I really do believe that no matter how much you loved something when you started, no matter what you do, anything will begin to devolve into being somewhat dissatisfying by itself.

What I mean by this is not to say that you won't still enjoy it. Hopefully you will. And if you get nothing from it, then something is wrong. However, I have to think that there is always going to be some resentment from work solely for the reason that for most people who weren't born rich, it's something you HAVE to do. You need food and a roof over your head, so you have to do something that brings in money.

Meaning is subjective. If you get fulfillment from flipping hamburgers, there's nothing wrong that. You don't have to do something altruistic to discern meaning from life. For most, work is always going to be, at least to some extent, a means to an end. If you define yourself by your job, there's always going to be some emptiness inside you. No one thing can give you meaning -- not work, not relationships, not friends, not family, not hobbies, not religion, etc. It's when all (or most) of these aspects are working together that people are at their best.

14. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

No one said you couldn't change course. That's why I'm not a fan of taking traditional vows. "Till death do us part?" -- come on now, I'm not even the same person I was 5 years ago, never mind 20-30 years from now. I can't make promises I can't keep. I can't commit that person in the future, who is an entirely different person than I am, to something. They say every 7 years all the matter which comprises our bodies is replaced or renewed by external sources, food, water, minerals etc. So we're "literally" a different person in the future!

I love what I love "now" and I'll wake up each day saying I love it, until I no longer do. I don't make promises I can't keep, I'm too pragmatic for that.

Of course. Work is apart of living in a capitalistic society. Even if we could survive without having to work for food, shelter and so forth -- the vast majority of human beings would still work. People need meaning in their lives and to feel useful, regardless.

Of course. You do what you are, you aren't what you do.

15. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Why not volunteer? God I love volunteering, it gives me so much satisfaction and purpose. Whether it's at the animal shelter or helping the handicapped ride horses or habitat for humanity....that stuff always makes me feel like a better person.

16. Lazy D.

Lazy D. Active Member

Building weath, if you think about it, is pretty much useless in this life.

17. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

It works pretty well when you get sick and need a shit load of money to try to recover, or if someone you love needs it.

That's one form of discrimination this country hasn't given up on. If you've got money, you deserve to live, if you don't, we're better off without you they say. :(

18. Coottie

:rofl:
    wow...you can't honestly believe this at all.

Don't you know the golden rule?
    He who has the gold, makes the rules.

19. Lazy D.

Lazy D. Active Member

but what's the point, you die and then what ? I see it as a waste of my life.

20. Coottie

People easily live into their 70s, 80s and 90s these days. That's a LOT of life and money is only one thing you'll need during that journey.

Sure after all that time, you won't need money but until then you will.

The pursuit of accumulation of wealth doesn't have to be the sole purpose of your life. However, there is a vast amount of area between the extremes of money doesn't matter and the worship of all things financial.

Money doesn't matter until you have a problem that ONLY money can solve.....then money is invaluable.

21. SteveYoungblood

SteveYoungblood New Member

I think I may have presented my initial post in a poor manner that undermined the point I was trying to make, and instead stressed the obvious that anybody can figure out for themselves.

I think what I was getting at was: is an unfulfilling job really the problem? 22 with a career path job in the financial services industry? I'm thinking he's a recent college grad who is still relatively fresh in the 'real' work world. This in turn probably implies that this is the job he went to school for, which would raise the question of why would one actively pursue education for a meaningless job that won't make them happy?

Now, that last paragraph is entirely a suspicion on my part, so if I'm wrong then I'm wrong, and my presence in this thread should just be ignored. But if I'm right, I think it's far too early in his career to be this jaded. I think that what's wrong here is that there's some other void in his life, and a meaningless job is just an easy scape goat. I see a lot of college graduates less than excited once they're out of school, as though they're expecting a brave new world to whisk them away and begin a new, spectacular chapter of their lives, but instead all they're met with is a mundane 9 to 5 job and a little more money.

22. Coottie

You know...it's very common for newly minted grads to become disillusioned with their chosen profession upon graduation. It's one reason why many people don't currently work in the field for which they have been trained.

When you're in school, they don't ever tell you about the drudgery of the professions you're studying. Why would they? You'll just go to a different major and that's not good for their department. Not only that, some people will like their chosen profession so while the sentiment may be common, it's not universal.

Very often young people have all kinds of expectations of "real world work" that are simply unrealistic. Part of a person's dissatisfaction is really a readjustment of these expectations.

Now regarding "meaningful" work vs "menial" work....these are subjective terms but generally speaking, those jobs that really benefit other people, can't support someone in life.
    Jaded? I agree...he's too young to be jaded. However, disappointed?? Absolutely! Severe disappointment can be misunderstood as being jaded or cynical but they're really different.
    :werd:

23. bswanson

bswanson One more time

you pay taxes... don't you?

24. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Absolutely the truth, I can promise you. You watch, one day you'll be in a car accident, or you'll fall ill with Cancer or some other bullshit, and your insurance companies will baulk at you, telling you "Sorry, but that's not covered under your policy" -- then you'll look at your meager bank account and the price for the medical supplies and medicine or surgery that you'll need, and the rehabilitation, the hospital stays, the prices for a god damn plastic spork for crying out loud that they serve with your miserable hospital food, and ask yourself "Man, I'm so glad I didn't accumulate wealth because....what's the point?"

And if you're a party line Republican it'll be even better "Man I'm so happy I voted against Universal Health Care too."

Seriously, this "WILL" happen one day, to you, someone you love, or in another context directly connected to you. Money isn't everything, but it can determine whether you live or die in our society.

25. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Ohhhhh, I see what you did there! Ok, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification.