does how fast you eat matter?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TheMarchHare, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMarchHare

TheMarchHare OT Supporter

i'm thinking probably not, but i'm not sure.

i tend to eat with the quickness (<5 min) for each of my meals of .5 lb protein and 1/2 cup oatmeal/oat bran. i hear i should slow down, but does it really matter?

2. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

the slower you eat, take your time chewing, allowing saliva to begin the breakdown process, the more efficient your GI tract can be at digesting your food

Frank Zane talks about this in some of his books...big chunks of food crammed down military style are harder for the body to fully absorb compared to the liquid mash you create with intense chewing

3. athan

athan Guest

Also, as a fat man who has cut his calorie intake from 3000+ per day to less than 1500 most days I can attest to the fact that eating small meals slowly allows the body time to realize you aren't hungry. I combine this with the 5-7 small meals per day routine and I'm getting pretty good results so far.

4. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

people who cram down food tend to overeat because the "full" feeling takes a while to hit you.

I used to just sit down and polish off an entire large pizza then realize when i burped and beer and pizza were coming up that I was actually full

fuck I miss that

5. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

I'm usually the first to finish at the dinner table.

6. TheMarchHare

TheMarchHare OT Supporter

yea, i remember hearing about difficulties the body has with larger chunks of food, but having portioned meals throughout the day make me feel like i just need to eat and run. i'll try to slow down.

:rofl: having oat bran/oatmeal 3 times a day doesn't help with the slow eating

7. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i usually eat pretty slowly for breakfast and speed up as the day goes on for some reason

i think it's because during breakfast, i'm usually reading while i eat or something

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.