Does Every Car Forum...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by jjski78, Nov 17, 2009.

1. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Have a fucking cult like following for a certain brand of products?? The Corvette guys love rejex, a few forums are nothing but Zaino shills, and a Nissan forum I frequent will literally run you out if you don't use Adam's products. Do these companies pay people to join forums to promote their products or what? I know you guys run into it a lot, so I want to know everyone's thoughts on the issue. This is the only detailing forum I've ever been on where people don't rag on you about products, but almost every vehicle specific forum I've been on is full of shills it seems.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I think a lot of people get free stuff to promote products. Tiger Mike on Autopia let the cat out of the bag (so to speak) about Zaino a few years ago. The person he outed (blkZ28conv) rarely posts there now.

No company has the *best* product in every catagory of paint/interior care. I used Optimum, Clearkote, Meguiars, Werkstat, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Leather Masters, Armor All, BioKleen,Duragloss, Poorboys and even a couple Zaino products. Whatever works, works. The product inside doesn't know what name is on the bottle.

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:eek3: I guess I missed that one. I'm not too shocked to see the name that's attached to it though (blkZ28conv). :mamoru:

:werd: And on a few occasions, people have even discovered that multiple different vendors/brands were bottling the exact same products with their own labels on them. Even Zaino gets some of their stuff from a third party supplier that sells to more than one brand.

4. Scottwax

I'll bet you $100 Zaino gets all their stuff from a supplier. Zaino does not manufacture anything.

5. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Right there is what I always tell people. If it works for you, then as far as you're concerned it's the best. It just irritates me to no end when a newb asks for a recommendation and I get blasted for not recommending the forum hotness. I was even willing to give Adam's products a shot, until I saw the price. I asked their rep if he had any free samples, and he basically told me to get bent. I ain't shelling out $80 for a can of wax on a whim.

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

I'm sure they do... but I have to believe that at least some of their products actually are proprietary to some extent; I can't think of any other manufacturer using a "curing agent" like ZFX, for one (whether that's a good or bad thing notwithstanding).

Wonder whose bathtub that stuff is made in.... I've never seen stray pubic hairs in a bottle of product but :dunno:

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

it's made in duragloss' bathtub. and some car forums have a scottwax too :eek3:

8. Scottwax

Duragloss. Ever hear of #601?

The difference between it and ZFX is you physically apply #601 to the paint and the sealant over top but it appears the principal is very similar.

Also notice they call their sealants "polishes" and only recommend using 100% cotton towels.

On the back of both ZAIO and Duragloss 101, there is a warning that the product contains "allphatic hydrocarbons".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both products work EXACTLY the same as tested side by side, panel by panel. You absolutely cannot tell a difference in appearance, cleaning ability or slickess. Not to mention Duragloss's leather conditioner comes in the same bottle as Z-10 (except black instead of white) and smells the same. Z-7 and Duragloss #901 are as far as I can tell other than color, the same car wash soap.

Maybe some of Zaino's stuff is tweaked (like Poorboy's versions of Chemical Guy's stuff) with additional actives or the color/scent is changed (which Long Haul did with their QD when I e-mailed them to say it smelled exactly like another boutique QD I had tried-which Long Haul had been initially connected with) but I am 99% sure Duragloss manufactures the Zaino product line. I've heard from two different sources that a big time detailing company executive (no, not Meguiars) was in the Duragloss manufacturing facility and noted a pallet of boxes with a shipping label for Zaino. :noes: Since I haven't actually talked to that person (although maybe I should give him a call), I can't say for sure what I heard is true. However, I do have a lot of respect for who I heard it from.

9. BlazinBlazer Guy

Hmm.... very interesting! I guess I've never paid any attention to Duragloss.

I do remember the Long Haul stuff... in fact I still have a few bottles of the QD and wash soap. IIRC wasn't that line related to Jeff's Werkstatt?

10. Scottwax

No, Race Glaze products.

11. BlazinBlazer Guy

Ohhh yes, now I remember. That was 3+ years ago now :noes:

12. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

You do realize that there is nearly an infinite number of different aliphatic hydrocarbons that are possible, right? Tens of thousands that they could be referring to.

<---Chemistry Major

You should realize companies like to put big words that people dont know to help promote their product. "Aliphatic hydrocarbons? Dont take internally? This shit must be good!"

They may give similar results but that doesn't mean they are the same...or even strikingly similar. The only way to know short of braking into their offices and stealing their formula is to take a sample of each to an analytical lab. But like you're saying, who cares THAT much?

13. Scottwax

You do realize Duragloss and Zaino are the only two product suppliers I've ever seen that warning on, right?

When used as a warning, I highly doubt it is meant from promotional purposes. :uh:

Just like how Adams basically sells relabed Chemical Guys products and apparently Poorboy's uses tweaked CG stuff, doesn't matter to me if Zaino buys and relables (or has tweaked) Duragloss stuff. Just think people should be aware of what they are buying. :dunno:

Plus, I didn't say the results were similar but EXACTLY the same. :p

14. BlazinBlazer Guy

:werd:

Plus, if two products are exactly the same or very very close to identical but one costs more than the other does (one obvious example that comes to mind is P21S and S100) then why not be empowered with the knowledge to buy the less expensive of the two?

15. Scottwax

Exactly, S100 is close enough to P21S, cheaper and more readily available.

16. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

I'm just saying: aliphatic means that the organic compounds aren't aromatic. Ethanol is aliphatic yet we drink it on regular occasion. PVC is aliphatic. Sugars are aliphatic. These are just a few examples of aliphatic compounds that are perfectly safe for humans. "Danger, contains aromatic compounds" is just as much of an arbitrary statement. There are plenty of dangerous aromatic and aliphatic compounds and plenty of safe aromatic and aliphatic compounds.

I got you. ;)

17. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Look up Enviroshield and Duragloss. Hell, buy some and smell it, feel it, use it. All the same shit as Zaino.

18. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Well I guess I'm pissing off the Adam's shills on the forum I was referring to. And the Adam's rep doesn't like it when I point out the VAST price variations between his stuff and CG. Guess I was in the mood to stir the pot a little more.

19. Scottwax

I used to fuck with the Finish First Nazis when OT was still a part of h-a.net and Chris Webmaster was selling that repackaged Liquid Glass.

20. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

21. Scottwax

The h-a.net/Finish First Koolaid drinking crew was pretty strong back in the day...

22. BlazinBlazer Guy

The thing that scares me more than the Adam's sheep is all the people (you included) recommending Bleeche-White. WTF, why?! SO many other APCs out there cheaper that do as good or better.

:noes:

23. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

nigga, the only thing as good or better on tire whites is the neon yellow/green tire cleaner concentrate that car washes use. I 've used both, and both are amazing at cleaning tire whites. No APC can do what these can on them, period.

24. BlazinBlazer Guy

Yes, but there were guys talking about bleeche-white on black-wall tires; there's no point in using the expensive stuff on those.

And for the record, Meguiar's Wheel Brightener is just as good with white lettering ;)

25. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

never been a fan of using wheel cleaner on tires. and black walls will get as much dirt and shit built up on them like whites.

ah hell, it ain't a big deal, use wtf you like. shit, we all disagree around here :mamoru: