GUN Does duracoat or something like it come in a rattle can?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Arrowhead, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Guest

I want to paint some parts but I dont have an air brush, paint booth or anything like that.

would it be best to invest in an air brush set up even though I might only use it once?

2. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

3. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

What about Brownells Alumahyde? It looks pretty good, but I cant speak to its durability yet.
    Edit - Couple pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  4. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Guest

Yeah thats the kit that I saw. If duracoat is all there really is then I guess I'll spring for it.

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I'd recommend Moly Resin or Gunkote over Duracoat. Moly Resin and Gunkote are enamels and end up much more durable. You can get an airbrush from www.harborfreight.com for like $10. I've done a couple guns with Moly Resin with the cheap airbrush and they have turned out great.

6. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Guest

Thanks for the alternatives. I'd still need to buy a compressor though for the air brush. :hs:

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

go by a gas station that has a pay pump to inflate tires

8. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Guest

:rofl: "pay not attention to the man paiting his guns"

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

If you dodn't have acces to a compressor you can just buy a can of air. The kit that duracoat sells comes with one but like Dazed said, you should be able to buy one for a couple bucks at Walmart or a Hobby store.

10. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Guest

alright guys thanks for the help.

It lookes like Brownells Alumahyde is the only one that comes in a can, but molyresin, and gunkote are both better than duracoat but they need an air brush.

I'll just have to figure out what I think is easiest.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've recently done 2 guns in alumahyde. It goes on fairly thick and seems to be reasonably durable based on the little testing I've done. Keep in mind you're going to have to be patient waiting for it to cure though. Check into the other stuff as well, most of them require baking and that can be a pain with a rifle.

12. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:werd: I forgot about that part. AKs will fit in a normal sized oven no problem with the buttstock removed and so should just about any other rifle with a barrel under 20'' and the stock removed. The cool think about Moly Resin and Gunkote is you don't need to hang it or anything, the finish dries when you spray it on so it doesn't get messed up when you set it down in the oven.

13. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

in for later.