Does creatine make anyone else feel like they're about to stroke out?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TFunkadelic, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

I've taken creatine intermittently in the past without it resulting in any noticeable increase in blood pressure. About two months ago, after an extended hiatus from lifting or exercise in general, I decided it was time to get back in to lifting and working out. I had a few jugs of creatine left over from my earlier days so I decided to start taking it with my pre-workout shake.

Also at this time, I stopped my heavy intake of coffee (6-7 cups a day) and refrained from drinking any substances that had high caffeine contact. Immediately after quitting the coffee my blood pressure shot through the roof (this occured the evening after I stopped use). It was so bad, in fact, I couldn't even sleep because I could feel and hear my pulse throbbing in my head and it freaked me the fuck out. In my panic I researched my problem online and discovered that caffeine serves to regulate blood pressure and a withdrawal symptom of sudden stoppage of use is a blood pressure spike. I drank a mild cup of coffee and took some aspirin as suggested, the problem went away, and I slept like a baby.

Since then, I've cut my coffee consumption back to a cup a day and for awhile I thought I had the problem solved. Over the last few weeks however, the pounding pulse in my dome has been resurging, and a few days ago it was worse than it has ever been before. I had a doctor appointment that day and for the first time in all of my visists they told me to keep an eye on it.

I did a search on creatine because I knew that it caused your body to retain fluids. Sure enough, I found several sites claiming it has indeed been linked to a rise in blood pressure in certain individuals (though I also found some that said no link had been found at all). I ceased creatine intake and have since been symptom free.

So my question is this: Were the blood pressure spikes caused by the creatine intake, the coffee, a mix of both, or was it neither and my problem is something else entirely?

2. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

hard to say, you could have a history of high blood pressure or other problems. Get a blood pressure reading with no coffee and creatine, then oen with creatine then one with coffee and then both

All in one week intervals cause it could jsut be you have high blood pressure

and no creatine doesnt make me feel like im gonna stroke out whatever the fuck that means :ugh:

3. calteg

calteg Those who would sacrifice personal liberty for sec OT Supporter

Don't take things so seriously...life will kill yo
    Nope, can't say it ever has.
    ...and most of the research I've seen recommends taking creatine post workout

4. TFunkadelic

Stroke out as in it feels like your blood pressure is so high you're about to pop something in your brain. I suppose it would have been more accurate to say "aneurysm out" but that doesn't sound as cool.

5. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

No. Have you actually taken your BP or you just "feel" that it is high?

6. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

it actually sounds fucking stupid.

7. TFunkadelic

I had an unrelated doctors appointment when the problem (based on my own sensation) was at its worst, and indeed my blood pressure was quite high. It was 158 over something, can't remember what the other number was. I'm typically below 110/60.

8. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Keep an eye on it. I've never read anything about creatine causing blood pressure to rise in research but I'm not an expert on it either.

IT IS THE SILENT KILLER. Mine is like 140 all the time, I'd sorta like some medicine for it since I already watch my diet and exercise

9. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Caffeine doesn't serve to regulate blood pressure -- it interferes with your ability to and over time your body learns to depend on it for regulating. It's a diuretic and causes you to flush fluids out of your body, so when you stop the fluids are no longer flushing and your body doesn't quite know what to do with them. Sounds like a bad withdrawal. How long ago did you drop the coffee to 1 cup/day? 6-7 is a good bit of caffeine. Going from 3-4 cups/day to 1/0, I felt withdrawal symptoms strongly for a few days, and after about 2 weeks they weren't noticeable, at 6-7 you may be looking at longer depending on how long you did that for.

Drop the creatine until you have the BP issue figured out. If you're only taking 5g pre or post workout it shouldn't have a huge impact but if you already have problems it may exasperate them.

May want to throw in some cardio and increase the water intake as well (to make yourself urinate more frequently).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.