TAT Does anyone w/ piercings work in a medical setting?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by JumboJym69, Dec 17, 2004.

1. JumboJym69

JumboJym69 New Member

I just got accepted to a radiology program at a nearby college and I've been thinking about getting my ears pierced and eventually putting plugs in them. I really like the way this looks and I am not even planning on putting big ones in, definitely smaller than a 0g probably much smaller. I was just wondering if anyone else with piercings works in the medical field as well and what most places tolerate.

2. chizzle

chizzle New Member

I don't think you'll have too much problem with ear piericings, facial piercings on the other hand might cause some protest from your employers.

3. Incog91

Incog91 Guest

4. Incog91

Incog91 Guest

Radiologist work with a lot of old people and old people HATE facial piercings. I would advice against it because it could be difficult to find a job.

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

they dont pay you to look pretty, they pay to do a service.

6. Incog91

Incog91 Guest

My parents own a retail business and we had an employee who got a facial piercing after she was hired. A lot of old people live in my community and come into our store. They would constantly complain about this girl's facial piercings and having to see them.

1. The heads of hospitals are always old doctors who don't practice anymore.
    2. If business is lost at your practice because people don't want to look at you, they will find a reason to get rid of you.

7. CyberBullets

however, if there is no dress code in place, u get it done, then they fire you for the piercing, its called descrimination.

but you can always put a retainer in. i do that for my eyebrows

8. Incog91

Incog91 Guest

I don't know why are you going after me. I am just trying to tell him some things that would go wrong with having piercings in a professional work environment. This isn't how I feel, I could care less.

And I said "they will find a reason to get rid of you" without being tagged as discrimination.

9. CyberBullets

if you are past your probation, have a little bit of senority, and do your best work, its almost impossible.

i dunno about your labour laws, but ours a fairly strick on that type of termination

10. chakup

chakup Guest

My $0.02 here, In Oregon it's an employment at will state. Meaning=they can fire you for no reason at all. No you aren't paid to look pretty, but you are paid to set an example for the company. At my job I have gotten away with my tongue pierced, and am now up to 6g ears. They have a very strict no facial peircing policy though.

11. Furner

Furner New Member

so they can fire you because you are black/gay/not blonde haired blue eyed?? i think not.

12. chakup

chakup Guest

furner re-read my post. They can't fire you for discriminatory reasons, but they can fire you for no reason at all. Discriminiation is still wrong, and if you could prove it fine.

13. Woppin Wild

Woppin Wild OT Supporter

I don't really know about in Canada, but in Florida the labor laws are such that the employer has the upper hand in basically all aspects of termination. I work in a pharmacy and have my ears and lip pierced, but it was a hassle to say the least when I got my lip pierced. The only reason I wasn't let go when I refused to take it out (this was the second time I'd had it pierced, and I really didn't care whether or not I lost my job over it this time) is because I myself am management, I've been with the company for a while, and, most importantly, I've got them in a situation where if they do terminate me, they have no one competent enough to step into my position. Back on topic though, it is very plausible and possible for a person to be fired for a piercing since the only things covered against discrimination (in the US at least) are race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (over 40 y/o), disabilities, marital status, and political affiliation. There are still states in the US, Florida included, where you can be fired for being a homosexual, so getting fired for a piercing is like childsplay compared to that imo. Obviously, it's even easier if there are safety concerns or dress code standards in place.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  14. Furner

Furner New Member

Firing someone for "no reason at all" is a real tricky situation. because no one is ever fired for no reason at all. If it is downsizing, or poor business, ok. But the boss dosnt come into work and be like, "ah, you black dude over there, you are fired", and then say that he just felt like firing someone. I guess what I am saying is there is a reason for every termination.
    BUT! any good medical facility should have a very good dress code in place, covering everything from facial piercings to hair length and what color socks you may wear.

15. Westside

Westside New Member

If you get fired for no reason at all, you'll collect unemployment for a few months, for sitting on your ass.