SRS Does anyone suffer from Night Terrors?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mugwump, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

I do. I've heard it's hereditary.

www.nightterrors.org

Anyway, my terrors have made a drastic shift from monsters and darkness to embarassment and irresponsibility. I think it's because I moved and I live alone and have all these things on my mind. Examples:

- Forgetting to pay a bill. Just forgetting to do something. I'll jump out of bed and be like "Crap, I forgot to do that!"
    - Lastnight I had a dream that someone was trying to talk to me in the darkness of my room. I have a heavy duty, black flashnight next to my bed for "protection." (I'm somewhat afraid of the dark, but only during terrors, and this flashlight is also for intruders, not that I'd really stand a chance, but whatever). I got out of bed and turned on the flashlight. That's when I woke up.
    - The worst dream I had was I bought two dogs and put them in a kennel in the den of my apartment. I forgot they were downstairs for two weeks. I jumped out of my bed and was like "Holy shit!"
    - The second worst dream I had was last week. I had a dream that I bought several rattlesnakes from a pet store. I dunno why I did this nor why I thought it was a good idea to let them run loose through my apartment, but needless to say, right before I woke up, I was hunting each one down with a shovel. I woke up in terror.

My sleep it really reckless. I'll make the bed and wake up with my sheets all over the place. I knocked a girl in the face once during a dream I had. This kinda sucks. Anyone have any sleep problems?

2. edwin23

edwin23 New Member

yup.. i always have messed up dreams that make no sense. i cant remember what i had last nite but i'll update tmr with what i have tonite:hsd:

3. teo

teo . => ? => !

Yes. Usually with greater frequency when I'm stressed or have gone through a traumatic event.

I had no dreams for a week after my house burned down (almost with me in it :p ) - THAT scared me more than anything I've ever dreamed because I usually dream vividly. For months after I would wake up with a cold sweat / screaming for no apparent reason, with dreams that didn't correlate to anything tangible, just blind terror. One time it was actually a black mare galloping at me with shodden hooves sharper than any razor gleaming in the ?moonlight?

4. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

That's kinda cool!

With the monsters, I'd usually embrace the terror because I'm fascinated with horror movies, and sometimes through lucidity, I could control what was going on. When this happens, I'd usually get some kind of superpower or skill to fight back. It would still be a terror though because I'd wake up still thinking I was in the fight.

These terrors are different though and they really suck. It's just this overall feeling of irresponsibility and things forgotten and left undone, like if I don't do what I'm sposed to do, everything is going to fall apart. This stems from moving and work stress.

5. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

Bump?

6. XEightOhOneX

XEightOhOneX Wildo

I'm in the same boat as you man, I have them all the time.
    The most recent one, someone stole my wallet and they hid it somewhere. Next thing I know I'm awake and my sheets are completely torn off my bed and i was standing on the side of it(I wasn't too happy with having to make my bed again at 3 am :o ) That was just a few nights ago.

There was one that was pretty creepy, but I cant remember many details. I was like a prisoner somewhere, and I guess there was some guard there watching me in my dream.I hucked my pillow at him....then the next thing you know i hopped out of bed ready to fight and it was then I woke up completely and realized it was just some shadow by my dresser

I have a bunch of other stories but i'm tired. nice link btw, im gonna check it more thoroughly tomorrow.

7. johan

johan Active Member

Why don't you research into past lives? You may find something useful there.

Even if you don't believe in reincarnation, you may conceptualise it as material from your unconscious. Once your issues move from your unconscious to your conscious mind, the dreams will have served their purpose and abate.

8. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

Stuff like this will really piss off the girlfriend. :rofl:

9. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

No offense, but women do this all the time, even those that haven't been assaulted. They're have a dream that their BF cheated on them, wake up and bitch at the BF for cheating in their dream.

10. Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat New Member

i think my daughter does :( she is 9 months old and will just start screaming in her slp and i go in and pick her up and it's like she doesnt know me and she just screams harder like someone is hurting her :( it just breaks my heart :(

so i cant really understand what it's like for u but i do know how i feel when it happens to Paige :( i do hope u the best of luck in dealing with it .

get a cat :) some company in ur home may make u feel a little better :)

11. vaya

vaya Big Cockney

I thought night terrors were different than bad dreams - like I read about cases where they'd wake up and still be freaking out or they move around a lot uncontrollably while they sleep...

12. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

You are correct. A night terror brings the bad dream into reality. If you have a dream about insects everywhere, you'll wake up and see bugs crawling on the walls.

13. individual

individual New Member

[font=&quot]Are you into the entire science of what dreams are and such? I believe some sections of it are true but when it comes down to the astral projection, being your soul, and being on the "other side" where you can see the dead and move around so freely I see it VERY scary but cool.

I came across this web forum a bit while back and I go back to it every now and then because people have similar situations going on.

[/font] http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/default.asp?action=cat16

[font=&quot] Sometimes I do have the bad dreams/night terrors only because I don't have control of the situation that I heard/read go on. These dreams are easily prevented so far as long as I don't read any reports.[/font]

14. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

As a matter of fact I just had one this past night for the first time in several yrs at least. I was somewhere, cant remember where but all i know or needed to know that something horrible was happening to the woman I love and I remember tryin to scream but being bound up and struggling to get free and tryin to scream but couldnt, my attempts at screamin were what woke me out of that feeling of helplessness , the reason I call this a night terror is bc in it i tried to scream and move my arms or any limb I could and when I finally could move anything just a bit or scream I was woken up by the bed shaking(from me trying to move) and my scream. I havent had anything like this happen in god knows how long. I woke up furious and ready to kill until i finally saw that none of it was real even tho i could feel it physically while i was sleep.

15. individual

individual New Member

You got a dose of sleep paralysis. The paryalysis isn't really normal but it happens to people.

http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/paralysis.html

16. camo~

camo~ I LURK

I used to when I was young. Now my youngest son does. They suck.

Good thing is most people grow out of them. So maybe when your balls drop you will quit wetting the bed. :rofl:

J/k :)