WEB Does anyone sell anything online?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MrBrotato, Apr 5, 2008.

1. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

It seems like a lot of people in this forum focus on making advertising dollars, but I'm curious if anyone here runs a web store or otherwise sells a product/service? I do rent a little web space but have really wanted to setup a web store, having a hard time figuring out what to sell though.

2. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

I just sold 3 hard drives full of OTAH goods.

PM me for details if you want one :mamoru:

3. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

JB? :eek3::bigthumb:

Only real items I have sold have been through ebay. Everything else is either digital products or affiliate products that were just leads.

Do you want to sell items that you buy and store at home then sell or items that are just dropshipped from manufacturers/distributors? Electronics are usually a pretty decent area for that if you think you can get traffic for it.

4. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Im considering jumping on the TShirt bandwagon a few friends just kicked off their own designs and have no web skills.

5. whomadewho

whomadewho Ohhh FCN Ohhhhh FCN!

i used to work for a furniture distributor that decided to sell online. was quite a mess but learned a bunch

6. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

Ive seen too many online stores fail to even try one myself :o

7. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I'm not really sure what I want to sell, just seeing if anything sparks an idea for me. I was just curious if anyone on here was doing anything like this or not.

8. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

How did you ship items as big as furniture? Or did you just sell to stores in bulk and deliver yourself?

9. whomadewho

whomadewho Ohhh FCN Ohhhhh FCN!

we used different freight companies for outside cali. huge pain in the ass. we used our own trucks for inside cali. when buying the furniture from manufacturers we usually bought a whole truckload at a time. furniture market right now is shite. don't even think about it. housing market shite = furniture double fucked

10. rwdftw

rwdftw Guest

if you are going to sell things online focus on small high value items. Jewelery for example.

A good idea for example would be buying those synthetic diamonds and reselling them for a higher price Plenty of people out there who don't know that company even exists so you can charge a 50% markup and as long as people get to your site you turn a profit. Then you basically just compete against real diamonds, and just have to make a good website that explains that these diamonds are perfect etc.

Some things I would avoid: automotive(there are like 10,000 online store) and electronics(typically have heavy items + its an industry where things go out of fashion quickly so by the time your merchandise arrives your profits are cut by 50%)

Tshirts is an ok idea, but every single person out there thinks they can do it. Talk to a college student who wants to start their own webcompany and 9 out of 10 will tell you they either want to start a tshirt company or a college bookstore.